12 of the Smartest Attic Remodel Ideas That Increase Home Value
When you are consider an attic remodel there are two main ideas behind your plans. Our attic remodel ideas that increase home value will guide you on the right path as you consider your remodel plans. You are usually either remodeling for your own use, or you are remodeling to try to increase the value of your home. The choices that you make will be guided by one of these two intentions. Of course if you can satisfy both of these goals with the same choice then you are even better off.
Before you begin, decide if your pursuing an attic remodel that will increase home value, or one that is intended to provide you with a space meant for long term enjoyment. Each attic is a unique project, and no one guide can give you all of the information you may need to get the most value out of your efforts. With an attic remodel possibly costing around $50,000 getting the most return from your investment is a very real consideration. Our guide will help you make decisions that help your attic remodel increase the value of your home.
- Efficient Use of Space: Using your attic space rather than extending the footprint of your home can increase the value of your home by up to 61% of the money you put into the remodel. This makes your attic remodel of moderate value compared to some other rooms.
- Lures the Buyer: A finished attic space can be something of value to your home by drawing potential buyers into the sale. It both adds another story to the home, and is a project they will never have to do. While this doesn’t always come down to more dollars in the eventual sale, it can be the difference between a potential buyer picking your home, or another.
- Get Advice: One of the best ways to get the most value out of your attic remodel is to talk to a realtor. They will know what the local market is looking for, and help you make the choices necessary to get the best value out of the remodel. This helps you avoid the trap of picking what you like, and thinking that everyone will like it as well.
- Don’t personalize: The worst way to move forward if you are trying to increase your home value is to make your attic overly personalized. Stick to options that will appeal to the broadest possible audience. This will mean your attic will increase the value of your home by bringing in as many potential buyers as possible.
- Simple is best: Keeping the space simple allows it to be pictured in just about any sort of configuration by potential buyers. So keep your style simple and minimalist with only one or two things to give it a “wow” factor.
- Don’t Overprice: It is sometimes an impulse to put every dime you can round up into your remodel. This will not always turn out to be the best investment. To increase the value of your home you must keep your remodel in line with the rest of your home. An attic that is obviously far and away more expensive than the original bedrooms in your home will only detract from your home’s value.
- Stick to the Style: As you remodel keep your attic in the same style as the rest of your home. If you have a home that is a arts and crafts, don’t construct an attic in colonial style. The differences between the rooms in the home will make the value of your home less. So keep with the style of the rest of your home in order to get the best value for your remodel.
- Always have a wow: Even with the need to keep your style simple and your choices appealing to the broadest audience possible, you can’t make it so bland it is not interesting in some way. A feature wall, or an upgraded style to some element is something that will pay dividends in the long run. Plan carefully and use these to your best advantage.
- Hardwood Sells: As you make choices, don’t avoid the hardwood. While it might take a chunk out of your budget, many buyers are looking for it. By ensuring that you don’t skimp on the flooring you make your attic remodel more attractive and increase the overall value of your home.
- Don’t forget Tech: A good way to increase your home’s value is by adding a bit of tech to your remodel. Add in outlets with USB chargers, wire speakers in, or place wireless speakers. This is something to do judiciously though, and only after looking for what is current.
- Do the Research: One of the most important things you can do in order to increase your homes value is to compare your home to others in the area. To truly increase the value of your home you should make your attic just slightly better than any others in your area. This will keep you within the comparable market, but just at the top of it. This is your true goal, you will get the most out of your remodel by being just slightly better than the others nearby.
- Buy for value: Another good way to increase your home value with an attic remodel is to buy at the lowest possible price point. To accomplish this look for auctions, and remnant sales. Buy on bargain and each dollar you save increases the value of your home by that much. Never forget that you can also sometimes make initial purchases at home improvement stores and get a discount at the time you sign up for a card or rewards program.