24 Valuable Facts About Bedroom Remodeling Costs
You finally have saved up some money and are ready to dive in and remodel your dated bedroom. Have you saved enough money though? What will the true costs of remodeling your bedroom? There are a lot of hidden costs that come up when you remodel. Knowing these costs let you make the best and most informed decision on how to get your remodel done well.
The costs and items listed below are generalizations. Your actual bedroom remodeling costs will change by location. A large portion of the cost of remodeling is usually labor, and permits. These two items will change by location. Labor costs will even change by season. So as you take a look at the costs listed below remember to look locally for the accurate costs for your region.
You can expect an average bedroom remodel to cost around $8000 for a standard size bedroom of approximately 10’x12’ size. This assume it is without an attached bathroom. For smaller or larger bedrooms expect the costs to increase by the difference in size between your bedroom and this average.
If you plan on reselling your home within the next five years, you can expect your remodel to add about 40%-80% of your investment to the value of your home.
To calculate what you can expect to pay for a bedroom remodel use an average of $70-100 per square foot. If you plan on basic materials use the lower end of the scale, if you plan on luxury materials use the higher end.
Top 28 facts about bedroom remodeling costs
- If you plan on including your master bathroom in your remodel, and you should, it will add an additional $10,000 to $30,000 to your costs. This takes into account the need to update the ensuite bathroom as part of your remodeling project.
- Every wall that you move or construct during your bedroom remodel will cost approximately $1000. This includes the actual construction costs,drywall, and painting of your new wall.
- If you have an older home that doesn’t have a walk in closet, the cost of adding one will cost between $7000 and $15,000. This cost range is determined by the square footage of the walk in closet that you want to put into your remodel.
- The choice to put in hardwood floors will cost between $8 and $15 per square foot.
- Carpenters cost between $12 and $40 depending on experience level and regional changes in labor costs.
- Most bedroom renovations are best done by a general contractor. The general contractor will be a single point of contact, handle the subcontractors and ensure the project is completed according to your specifications. General contractors cost between 10% and 20% of the value of the remodel.
- Electricians cost between $25 and $40 per hour. A bedroom can often be rewired in approximately 8-10 hours of work.
- Carpenters cost between $14 and $30 per hour.
- General Laborer costs between $12 and $20 per hour.
- Anticipate paying between $450 and $600 for a double paned window to improve your bedrooms energy efficiency.
- Adding standard fiberglass batt insulation will cost around $1.80/square foot.
- Carpeting averages between $15 and $25/square foot.
- Molding can be purchased at $3/linear foot.
- Interior doors cost approximately $400 each installed.
- Painting the new bedroom will take up approx. 32 hours of labor costs.
- Each canister style light adds $238-$350 to the cost of your remodel.
- Non-canister lights adds around $131-$354 for each light depending on the material.
- Adding or replacing a ceiling fan will cost $575 and $1000 installed.
- Develop decorating ideas with an interior designer $350-$600.
- Upgrading your windows and insulation can save you between $126 and $465 a year.
- New carpeting with padding is around $20 per square yard for regular, non-stain resistant carpet.
- Hardwood flooring will run around $10 per square foot installed for engineered hardwood, and between $9 and $14 dollars for standard, non-exotic, hardwood.
- Drywall goes for $10/panel and a small bedroom can probably need 13 of these panels.
- Molding is sold by linear foot and averages around $3.00/linear foot. Replacing your door will cost you about $200.