The truth behind bathroom remodeling costs
So, how much does it cost to remodel a bathroom? This cost isn’t fixed or set into stone and will depend on a lot of different factors. The decision to remodel any part of your home is a big decision. You should never make a decision of this magnitude without having all of the information possible. No one guide can perfectly predict the costs involved with a remodel. The information provided is provided to help you make the best choices.
Average cost to remodel a bathroom:
The average cost for a bathroom remodel in 2016 is $9,285. As with all numbers this amount is not what you should always expect to pay. It takes into account a wide range of bathroom remodels, from the inexpensive to the luxurious.For a modest bathroom remodel you can expect to pay between $5644 and $12,944. The smaller and less extensive remodel you choose the lower on the end of this scale. The higher and more luxurious your remodel the higher on that scale you will find yourself.
The region you are in will make a difference as to the price. Those in the south will likely pay less than the average prices listed. Those in the West and Northeast will pay more than the average cost.
Summary of the price of options:
Depending on the budget of your remodel you can expect to pay different prices for options. These are often considered in average groupings which we will call basic, Mid to Upper, and Luxury. The prices listed below are the minimum to be expected for each type of remodel.
- Bathtub: $400 -$2,600 – $8000
- Cabinets: $1,200 – $4,700 – $13,000
- Countertops: $900 – $2,800 – $6,500
- Flooring: $800 – $2,500 – $7,000
- Lighting: $120 – $1,100 – $4,000
- Shower: $450 – $3000 – $10,000
- Sink: $190 – $1,400 – $3,500
- Toilet: $130 – $340 – $550
What to expect in each type of remodel:
Another way of looking at the price of your bathroom remodel is to see what sort of options are available within a price range. These are not exact measurements, but when deciding on your budget these notes will help you realize what you may be able to expect. These estimates are for your average remodels where the home owner does parts of the work themselves.
Standard Remodel: $3000 – $12,000
- No plumbing moved
- Some fixtures replaced with off the shelf products
- Countertops are low end granite and marble
- Only the bathtub or shower area tiled
- Walls are painted
- Cabinets are repainted or refinished
- Lighting changes are basic and off the shelf
Average to Upscale: $10,000 – $35,000
- Plumbing changes such as moving a faucet or shower are possible
- Better fixtures from more expensive companies
- Higher grade remnant or custom granite, marble, or quartz
- Cabinets may be custom pieces, glazed, more specialized
- Fixtures are higher quality and longer lasting
- Porcelain tile for most of the surfaces with more expensive accent stripes
- Walls can be tiled or made of beadboard
- Often contractors used for this extensive of a remodel
Luxury Retreat: $30,000 – $100,000
- Complete remodel of all elements down to the studs
- Solid wood cabinets with decorative accents
- Natural marble, limestone, granite of high quality
- High end finishes on all fixtures
- Steam showers, radiant heating on the floors
The National Kitchen and Bath Association offers a breakdown of costs. This is a useful guide when you have a raw number for your budget but you aren’t sure how to allocate the funds. Use these percentages to make a determination on where the best places for your money are.
- Design fees: 4 percent
- Installation: 20 percent
- Fixtures: 15 percent
- Cabinetry and hardware: 16 percent
- Countertops: 7 percent
- Lighting and ventilation: 5 percent
- Flooring: 9 percent
- Doors and windows: 4 percent
- Walls and ceilings: 5 percent
- Faucets and plumbing: 14 percent
- Other: 1 percent
Other cost considerations
The costs shown above are “ballpark” figures. Certain things can make these numbers change dramatically. As you consider how much your bathroom remodel is truly going to cost you will have to look into these other aspects that impact the true cost of your remodel.
Contactors: One of the most variable costs in a remodel is the contractor. If you have little to no experience, a general contractor is the best choice. These are bonded, dedicated professionals who can subcontract out the jobs needed to be completed to have a successful remodel. If you have hired contractors before you may be able to do the job of the general contractor yourself. This decision can change the cost of contracting greatly.
Labor: Your labor costs will be another cost that changes depending on a number of factors. In general, the more that needs to be changed the more labor costs are going to add up. The cost of your labor also depends on the skill level of the laborers you hire to complete tasks. Unskilled day labor is much cheaper than a licensed electrician or plumber.
Permits: Permit costs are something most home owners don’t think to factor into a budget. The more radically you change your bathroom the more permits you will have to get. The permit fee may or may not include the inspection fees as well. Contact the building/inspection department of your local government to find out what the permit costs and inspection costs will be for any proposed construction. Any changes to plumbing or electrical will require a permit. As will changes to the structural components such as walls and floors.
The cost to remodel your bathroom is something that is made up of a lot of different elements. Balancing these elements and coming up with a budget is not a simple task. Taking the time to look at your costs and find ways to get the most out of your money will pay off though. Careful research can give you the best bathroom remodel possible.