11 Things No One Told You About How to Remodel an Attic on a Budget
An attic remodel can be an expensive endeavor. With a national average of around $50,000 needed to accomplish an attic remodel finding ways to save money can be important. Remodeling your attic on a smaller budget isn’t easy, but it can be done.There is no one magic way to save money. The best way to save money is to think every purchase through and to focus on the things you find most important. A budget is one of the best weapons you have for fighting high costs.
- Don’t Go Overboard: Although there is no law stating how much money each room in your home should have there are some generally accepted ideas. For an attic remodel the best advice is to keep the total value of your attic at around 15% of the value of your home.
- To keep your costs down use a budget: A budget is never written in stone, but it lets you make decisions based on a goal. Your budget should begin with total amount you have to spend on the remodel. Use this budget to determine where to put money from this total.
- Plan: There is no better way to remodel on a budget than to plan your remodel out carefully. It is not enough to budget for your remodel. By taking the time to sit down and meticulously plan out your remodel you avoid costly delays and mistakes.
- Decide Priorities: As you proceed with your attic remodel the best way to ensure you can complete it is to first determine what is most important to you. If crown molding and embellishments are on the top of your wish list then you must sacrifice in other areas. There is no one way to do this process, only you can know what is important.
- Make good choices: The main goal to doing an attic remodel on a budget is to make smart choices. When you are working with a limited budget every choice has to be thought of in that manner. Each item you decide has to be balanced against the other needs to complete your remodel.
- Find Deals: Shop online and look for the best deals that you can find. There’s also local auctions, and other places you can look for low cost materials. You may need to be open to not getting exactly what you want, but finding something that you like just as much.
- Do as much of the work on your own: This is one of the easiest ways to get the most out of a budget remodel. By pitching in as much as possible you free up funds for materials. Even if you are not very good at remodeling there are places you can lend a hand. Demolition, trash removal, transporting materials, these are all ways an unskilled home owner can get the most out of their budget.
- Be open to used items: Look for used materials, these can offer significant savings over brand new items. Look for a remodel store or a habitat for humanity type “ReStore”. Outlets such as these offer savings that can stretch your budget.
- Avoid a bathroom: One of the biggest expenses in an attic remodel is including a bathroom into your bedroom idea. This is an idea is one that you should avoid on a budget remodel. Even if you are able to locate the bathroom where you can easily tie into existing lines you likely will need to open the ceiling below.
- Accent with Paint: Instead of crown molding or other structural changes for accents, use paint. A feature wall or other painted accent can make your attic remodel look upscale, without the impact on your budget.
- Avoid Wallpaper: The price difference between paint and wallpaper can be nearly three times as much. To keep within your budget, stick to painted walls. If you want to have some wallpaper the best choice is to keep it for an accent wall to limit the costs.