How Local Laminate Floor Water Damage Repair Contractors Near Me Can Fix your Damaged Floors
Laminate flooring continues to be one of the most sought after flooring in the world today, and this is for a good reason. This flooring material is sleek, tidy and highly durable. In addition, the flooring does not require a lot of maintenance unlike other types of flooring such as wood and carpet.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are still not informed of the laminate flooring’s various nuances. Just like with any type of flooring material, it also comes with disadvantages in using the laminate flooring for your home. Read on to find out more about this.
Nuances of Laminate Flooring
Laminate flooring is known to be highly resistant to water. Thus, if you end up spilling water on the laminate flooring and then you wipe it up promptly, the floor will not suffer any kind of damages.
Unfortunately, when it comes to flooding, then this will be a totally different story. If in the event that the laminate flooring will be saturated with water, it will end up getting damaged and warped.
If the seams in between the laminated floor planks will get saturated, they could swell. If this happens, the only option you have left is to replace the planks with newer ones. What makes the repair of water damaged laminate flooring difficult is that you cannot easily find a perfect match for the laminate. This is the reason why replacement is often the recommended option when it comes to water damage.
Symptoms of Water Damage on your Laminate Floor
So how will you know if your laminate flooring has been water damaged? It is actually easy to detect these damages. You just have to keep an eye of the following symptoms:
- Excessive cupping
- Excessive cracking
- Excessive splitting
- Excessive crowning
- Excessive bucking
- Swollen and puffy plank edges
Unfortunately, most of the symptoms can’t be rectified. This could mean replacing the flooring. The good news is that you do not need to replace the entire floor.
Advantage of Using Laminate Flooring
Despite of its disadvantages, there are also lots of good things about the laminate flooring. For one, it is made of several different flooring pieces. If the carpet will become very wet, the entire carpet may need to be replaced. With the laminate flooring, you can simply replace the planks and boards that have been affected. It is in fact common to discover that only a few planks have been damaged.
Repairing the Broken Planks
Before you go on to repair the broken floors yourself, you may need to consider talking to the laminate floor water damage repair contractors. Most of these specialists offer free inspections on laminate flooring and these inspections can provide you with lots of insightful information on laminate floors. Here are some repair tips from the experts.
- Stop the leak – before you even think of addressing the issues on your floor, you must first make certain that you find and stop the leak immediately. This could mean turning the water supply as soon as the leak starts to show. This could also mean replacing all broken pipes. Again, you may need to consult with professionals especially if you need to deal with leaks that are contained inside your home’s walls.
- Identify the damaged plans – the next step will require identifying any damaged planks. Remember that your main goal here is to determine which planks are screwed up and need to be replaced as soon as possible.
- Pry – the next thing that you will do is to make use of a crowbar, circular saw and others in prying the damaged planks. Take note that each plank should be treated as one whole unit. This could mean that the entire components, including the baseboard has to be pulled out.
- Replacing the planks – this part is considered the make or break part. Replacing the floor planks may not be easy most especially if you’ve got older laminate floors that have already gone out of style. Before you decide to replace the planks, make sure that you clean the floor completely underneath it.
Here are some more tips that you must keep in mind during the process of repairing and replacing the water damaged laminate floors.
- You must deal with each of the planks in a one by one basis. You should avoid removing several planks all at once. They must be removed one by one.
- You also need to ensure that the new floor planks and strips match with the rest of the laminated flooring in your home. Or else, your flooring could appear quite odd.
If you are not sure of what to do, then consider hiring the professionals who are experts when it comes to repairing and replacing damaged laminated floors. This is especially true if you are not sure of what you are doing and you do not have any knowledge and skills on floor repairs.
Cracked Laminate Floors
Water moisture is often the number one reason why laminate flooring tends to crack. Moisture has the tendency to expand the wood laminate and will cause it to split once it starts to dry. The old laminate flooring can also become brittle and dry, thereby increasing the chances of cracks when people start to tread on them.
Minor scratches and cracks on your laminate flooring can be resolved with the use of wood putty or wood crayon, but this also depends on the severity of the problem. Floorboards that have been split majorly have to be replaced immediately. For more severe problems, it is best to talk to the repair specialists.
Buckling Laminate Floorboards
Buckling is often due to an uneven subfloor or that there are damages on the subfloor that have caused the flooring to become weak. Water damage is usually the culprit when it comes to this. Before the buckling is fixed, the subfloor should be repaired first.
Licensed laminate floor water damage specialists can help to figure out the causes behind the damages and will then repair it. As soon as this is completed, the homeowners might find that the buckling will just stop. If the problem still persists, then the only solution is to contact the contractors who specialize in laminate floor repairs.
Seeking Help from the Experts
Regardless of what you do, take time to take to a professional regarding the repair of your flooring. It will not cost you anything since most of these companies offer free assessment. In addition, the professionals might be able to discover some problems that you may not have discovered yourself. As someone who is not educated and trained on floor repairs, you may be able to fix only what you can identify. Those things that you were not able to discover could end up causing you more problems in the future.
So while you may end up spending more if you hire professionals to address whatever issues you may have with your laminate flooring, doing so is worth it. As a matter of fact, this could save you more money in the long run. These local laminate floor water damage repair contractors near me will make sure that all damages in the flooring are repaired so it will not keep on coming back again and you can avoid more expensive repairs.