Everything You Need to Know About Hiring Lawn Sprinkler System Contractors Near Me
Most of the sprinkler systems these days are already going green. Aside from helping to keep your lawn looking beautiful, the automatic lawn irrigation systems of today offer special eco-friendly features that help to conserve water. This is certainly a great option for those who are tired of having to manually operate a sprinkler system that’s attached to a hose in order to provide their grass with enough water that it needs. Even a typical pop-up sprinkler system is now being replaced with the programmable versions, which is ideal for a more efficient water usage.
Things You Need to Know Before Installing an Irrigation System
Before you get too excited to install a new sprinkler system for your home and hire the best lawn sprinkler system contractors near me, here are some important things you need to know.
- Consider your lawn – automatic sprinkler systems are best suited for medium to large spaces and come with adequate drainage. If the soil in your lawn or garden is compacted or that it is rich in clay, you might want to modify it or make use of another method in watering.
- Think of your budget – consider the overall cost of your irrigation system before you get on with this project. Consider the initial purchase price, which includes the equipment design as well as the cost of installation.
Approximately, the cost of installing a new sprinkler system is at $2,500 to $8,000, depending on the overall size of your home property. You also need to factor in the water usage as well as the cost to maintain and repair the sprinkler system in order to get a more accurate price.
- Learn about the local regulations – you will likely need to obtain a permit before you can start with the irrigation system. So before the contractors will begin digging on your yard, you must make sure that you have the necessary permit on hand.
Aside from the things above, you also need to find out if there are any plumbing lines, electric cables and gas lines buried in the area where the installers need to dig in order to install the sprinkler. You may need to get in touch with professionals to help you with this. Moreover, you must check any water restrictions within your area and ensure that your system conforms to it.
Programmable Lawn Sprinkler System
Just like with the programmable smart home systems being developed only for indoors, there are now smart garden systems as well. You should be able to acquire well-efficient lawn sprinkler that can be programmed to activate or deactivate the flow at a certain time of the day that you prefer. This feature can certainly help to optimize the use of water.
It is also a good idea for your lawn sprinkler to come with a rain sensor shut-off switch that will override the timer so it will not operate when it is not needed. Some states have in fact passed a legislation to make this mandatory for all irrigation systems. In order to conserve water even more, your lawn sprinkler system should also be fitted with a sensor to detect soil moisture.
Another great feature of the programmable sprinkler is that it can be set to spray only within the exact parameters of the lawn, which reduces water waste through overspray into pavements and other unnecessary areas. This system is even capable of watering plants in the corners.
Use Water Wisely
It is a good idea to set up your sprinkler system between 5 and 10 in the morning. This is to allow moisture to be able to soak in your lawn well enough. Watering your garden during the heat of the day, such as late morning or in the afternoon, will lead to an inefficient use of water as a result of stronger winds and faster rate of evaporation.
Irrigation in the evening is also not recommended since water is absorbed too slowly and thus, potentially resulting in the accumulation of plant diseases and molds. Here are more tips to keep in mind.
- Occasionally check the lawn sprinkler system in order to ensure that it is correctly directed and that it has not become clogged. The settings must be adjusted when the seasons change and along with these changes will be your lawn’s requirements.
- Make sure to combine conscientious lawn care and the use of a well-efficient irrigation system. This can include the process of verti-cutting, which means vertically cutting the lawn in order to prevent the buildup of thatch. This can also include mowing with the use of sharp blades that are set to 2 ½ up to 3 inches.
- You should consider devoting a part of your project into growing drought tolerant plants that demand minimal use of water and xeriscaping.
How Much Will It Cost To Install the Sprinkler System?
If you are looking to install the lawn sprinkler system into your home, you can expect to pay between $1,870 and $3,320 for the sprinkler system including labor and supplies. The cost to install the sprinkler system could vary depending on the following.
- Size of the lawn.
- Amount of water pressure that you have.
- Accessibility of the water meter.
- Overall quality of the system components.
- Standard versus programmable “smart” watering system.
Benefits of a Lawn Sprinkler System
The good part about having a sprinkler system is that you can be assured that your lawn will stay healthy and green. Moreover, it also saves you a lot of time and hassles from having to drag around an old fashion sprinkler and what’s even worse, is a garden hose. But the good news of all is that a high quality sprinkler system can actually save you more water unlike the old fashioned methods.
Size a Sprinkler System and Adapt With It
In order to come up with a more efficient sprinkler system, talk to the lawn sprinkler professionals in order to discuss your needs. You can have them design a system that is suitable to your needs, something that is compatible with the type of soil that you have as well as your local climate. The sprinkler system must be divided into zones and each should include a pipe and attached with up to 10 sprinkler heads.
The zoning can help to make it easier to adjust the overall size of the sprinkler system as soon as the system has already been installed. All you will need to do is install or remove the zones. This should come in handy at a later time if you ever decide to include garden beds or convert a certain part of your yard into paved patio.
In order to get the most of your money, make sure that you hire licensed lawn sprinkler system contractors to get the sprinkler system installed the right way. They can help to ensure that your system is designed and installed correctly. They can also ensure that protective devices are included in the system, such as a backflow preventer and that there should only be minimal damages on your yard during the process of installation. A good idea is to also include a smart timer on the sprinkler, a feature that will adjust the flow of water depending on the current condition.