Masonry Contractors Near Me
Read this Guide First before Choosing from the Masonry Contractors Near Me that You’re Considering
A lot of homeowners are confused when checking out masonry companies. First of all, they don’t really know if they need the services they offer. A lot of homeowners don’t understand what these contractors are and what they do which is quite a shame because they’re missing out on the benefits of their services.
On the other hand, there are homeowners who know what these pros are and they know the benefits of hiring one. This is why they’re now online looking for information about them and they’re looking to hire the best one. The only problem is they’re finding it hard to choose the right one to hire because they’re overwhelmed with a lot of details. The frustrating thing is they can’t find the details that they need to find the right person to hire.
Whatever the case may be, whether you know what these companies are and what they do or not, read on. This guide will provide you with everything there is to know about these contractors and you’ll know how to hire the right one.
What is Masonry?
Masonry can refer to the process of building a structure from individual units that are laid and bound together using mortar. It can also refer to the individual units themselves. The masonry companies commonly use materials like marble, limestone, brick, travertine, cob, glass block, cast stone and concrete block.
Masonry units are known for their durability. However, they’re only as durable as the materials used. For the masonry process, the structure can only be durable if done by a competent pro who uses high quality mortar. In addition, the pattern of the assembly of the units will also dictate the durability of the structure.
Masonry contractors are also known as bricklayers or masons. Needless to say, you need their expertise in order to benefit from masonry. As mentioned, you can only benefit from them if they’re built to be durable and they can only be built to be durable if done by a good mason using high quality materials.
There are a lot of myths in the construction industry that are unfortunately pushing people away from masonry. These are proven facts that should convince you that it’s a good option:
- A lot of famous and timeless buildings were built using this process. For example, the 5,000 year old Great Pyramid of Giza used 2,300,000 stone blocks.
- It’s a labor intensive job so you need a highly-skilled mason. It’s not a DIY job. We can’t expect machines to take over skilled masons anytime soon.
- Masonry is very resistant. You can expose it to fire and it won’t burn or melt. It’s mold-resistant as well because it’s not a food source for spores.
- Some of the world’s top builders and architects have no problem choosing masonry. They know that it’s not going to let them down with its beauty and durability.
- It’s energy efficient because it doesn’t lose or absorb heat that quickly. It’s a natural insulator.
- It’s a green process because it uses materials that can be easily recycled. It also uses natural materials.
- You can choose from a wide variety of designs. Experienced brick masons can present you with a lot of design options to choose from.
- If you use brick, you can expect a higher resale value of your home. Just to be more specific, you can enjoy a 6% higher resale value.
- No other material can outlast masonry.
- You can have masonry work done anytime of the year. Pros will simply enclose the work area with a protective sheet. You can take advantage of off-peak prices this way.
- It has stood the test of time. It has been used for over 6,000 years.
Advantages of Masonry
Why should you use this process and materials? If done by good brick contractors, you can experience the following advantages:
- It can make your building more resistant to fire. This is because of the increased thermal mass if materials like stones and bricks are used. As a product, it’s not combustible.
- It doesn’t require paint to be used. This reduces the costs that it will incur over its lifetime since you don’t need to repaint it regularly.
- It requires little to no maintenance. In addition to not needing repainting, it also doesn’t require regular cleaning. It won’t rust or dent.
- It can resist projectiles thrown by the wind brought upon by tornadoes or hurricanes.
- If installed by a competent person who understands the compression process using lime mortar, it can prove to be useful for up to 5 centuries.
- Construction is quick. Forget the myth that masonry construction is slow. The best companies will surprise you with how quick construction is.
- It’s energy-efficient.
- You can save on insurance costs. This is because insurance companies recognize the resistance of masonry buildings and that they will not burn or melt. You can expect lower premiums.
Basically, it’s durable and safe. These are things that you’re looking for in a structure so masonry is a good choice. Masonry is one of the safest choices. It’s a solid choice. This is why it’s a top choice for hospitals, schools, offices, apartments and the likes.
Are there Disadvantages?
It’s not perfect. This is especially true if you’re going to hire an incompetent mason. Generally speaking, here are the disadvantages:
- It’s not a good option for areas that experience extreme cold. The walls can degrade if exposed to frost damage.
- It can settle and crack because it’s heavy. This is why competent masonry companies will ensure that a strong foundation is built. This foundation is usually made out of reinforced concrete.
- It can’t tolerate oscillation well because of the loose components.
- It’s considered to be low in tensile strength which means that you need to have it reinforced if you’re anticipating stretching and twisting. While it can carry a massive load vertically, its tensile strength leaves a lot to be desired.
How much is the Cost?
It depends on what you need done. It also depends on several factors including the size of the project, your choice of materials, and your location. Different pros will charge different rates, but these estimates on the cost to install a wall via the masonry process will give you a good idea on the cost involved. Please note that these estimates are for 120 square feet of space which means materials for 129 square feet are going to be used:
- For the materials, expect to pay anywhere from $1,300 to $2,000. This is the retail cost for materials considered to be basic grade.
- For the labor cost, expect to pay anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500. This may seem expensive but remember that this is a labor-intensive job. Besides, this includes everything from planning to clean-up so everything is taken care of.
- You also need to pay for supplies and materials. These are needed by the mason to construct the wall. In addition to the grinding and cutting materials, you also need reinforcement supplies and mortar. Expect to pay around $35 for them.
- Obviously, this job requires the use of specialized equipment. This is why you need to pay for equipment allowance. The cost is generally between $50 to $80.
Based on these estimates, you can expect to pay anywhere from $2,500 to $3,600 to install masonry wall that’s 120 square feet. This means that the average cost per square foot is more or less $25 so just multiply that with the space that you have to get an estimate. Of course, you can get more accurate estimates if you’re going to ask masonry contractors directly.
What if you’re looking for someone for repair? On average, most homeowners spent around $1,200 on repair costs. This is based on numbers provided for brick repair all over the US. It can be as low as $70 or as high as $3,500. It depends on your specific case so make sure to tell masonry companies that you need repair work done so you can get more accurate estimates.
Tips to Find the Best
These tips can help you search through different companies and find the best one out of the rest:
- Make sure that they’re legitimate.
The first thing to check is their license. Are they licensed to do masonry work in your location? If they say yes, ask to see proof. Cross reference this with the Better Business Bureau. Check their affiliations and check their standing in these organizations.
You can also check by asking if they’re bonded. Legitimate companies are also insured. These can help protect you as the client.
- Ask to see their past works.
This can help you achieve two things. First, you’ll see if they indeed do masonry work. In addition, it can help you check the quality of their work. It would be best if you can check out their oldest work to see how it still stands now.
- Ask for references.
You can ask them to refer you to their past clients. You can contact them and ask them for feedback on the work that they’ve received.
- Stick to those with experience.
The best masons are the most experienced ones. This is why it’s a good idea to ask them about their experience. The longer they’ve been in business, the better.
Get Quotes Now
Now that you know everything there is to know about masonry, including the estimates, it’s time for you to get started. The best way to start is to ask legitimate local contractors to send you an itemized quote. This way, you’ll know what they’re offering so you can see if they’re offering what you need. In addition, you’ll know how much their services cost. This is important because understandably so, their rate will play an important role in your decision as to who to hire.
But wait; don’t pick up the phone just yet. There’s an easier way to request for quotes and that is with the use of the form on our site. It’s an easy to use form that allows you to take advantage of the database that we’ve put together. This is a database of the best and most legitimate companies all over the US so yes, you can find masonry companies near me if you’re going to use this form.
You just need to fill out the form with your details and hit on send. This will send a request to these pros for them to send you itemized quotes. Just take the time to study these quotes so you can choose the right person to hire. Make sure to apply the other tips presented in this guide so that you’ll really find the right company for you.
Should you use this form? Yes, if you want an easy way to get in touch with these companies. It will also help you find the best deal since these companies will be competing for your business. Best of all, it’s a free service so there’s no reason for you not to try it. Try it today to see how easy it is to ask the right questions and hire a good masonry company.