Things You Need to Know When It Comes to Hiring Outdoor Lighting Contractors Near Me
You can probably install simple outdoor lighting with low voltage, all by yourself. However, to achieve a truly dramatic lighting, hiring professional lighting contractors is what you need. Not only these contractors have several years of experience in the industry of outdoor lighting, but also there is a good chance that they have access to some of the best outdoor lighting fixtures that may not be available to the general public.
Remember that installing extensive or high-end lighting fixtures safely will require proper licensing. Looking for an outdoor lighting contractor who can enable you to bring the landscaping to life at any time of the day is truly a valuable addition to your home.
Outdoor Lighting Techniques
Here are the different outdoor lighting techniques that you may want to incorporate in your home.
- Down lighting – this is the kind of lighting that will come from an above object or area. This is especially good at providing light at the ground for safety and to imitate natural lighting as well.
- Up lighting – this is the lighting that comes from an area below or from any object below. Silhouetting and shadowing can lead to dramatic aesthetic efforts, but also minimize the need for ground lighting.
- Deck lighting – this is specially designed to help minimize any accidents and avoid attracting insects.
- Tree lighting – this lighting can help to make trees look stunning at night. You can also add up lighting in order to highlight the contours of the trees and install down lighting to highlight gardens and shrubs below the tree.
- Grazing – this is a lighting effect that emphasizes the texture of the surface. This is mostly used in the exterior of a home to create a nighttime curb appeal.
- Path and area lighting – this is a general lighting that helps to ensure safety and illumination, ideal for more important landscaping areas.
Hiring Outdoor Lighting Contractors
While you must make sure to check that a contractor has the necessary license and permit, hiring professionals for outdoor lighting is not as technically complicated as the other areas of home improvement industry. There is a good chance that any of the contractors with experience and has an established local address is at least competent. Do not hire those who will come knocking at your door and offer to do the job right on that same day as well.
The most distinguishing feature of highly reliable outdoor lighting contractors near me is their designs and decorative skills. Thus, before you decide to hire them, check photos of projects they have completed in the past and schedule a time for them to visit your home so you can listen to the ideas that they have for your particular outdoor landscape. If you are comfortable in dealing with multiple companies, then you should take advantage of the competition to find the best deal for your light installation project.
Some of the outdoor lighting experts will usually offer a wide range of residential services. Aside from outdoor lighting installation, they are also capable of installing extra electrical circuit that can help to eliminate the need to use long extension cords for landscaping.
Importance of Exterior Lighting for your Home
There are so many reasons why it is a good idea to install functional outdoor lighting into your home. As a matter of fact, even if you want to include landscape lighting on your outdoor design, you will find that there are so many benefits that you have not even thought of. Thus, if you are not sure about whether you should move forward or not with this kind of lighting, then here are some things worth considering.
- Illumination – this is an obvious reason why most people will go for outdoor lighting. You definitely want to light up the outside of your home during those times that you want to invite friends and family over for BBQ’s and gatherings at your lawn or patio. Even if you want to just want to hang out at your porch alone in the evening, you should have proper lighting for illumination so you will be able to enjoy it.
- Safety – general lighting is good for safety, but you may want to add to whatever you have along with some other details such as lighting on the walkway. One of the reasons why you may need to add exterior lighting into your home is to prevent any accidents and injuries. This can also help to minimize the risk of slipping and falling in your property.
Remember that you could be sued for damages if it happened in your premises. Pay utmost attention to areas where traffic is usually at the highest, like the areas around the pool, decks and other seating areas outdoor.
- Décor – if you choose correctly, your outdoor lighting can be a part of your outdoor landscaping. This can also help to highlight certain aspects of your landscape design and garden while also providing just the proper amount of aesthetics.
Highlight details such as certain trees even add water features such as waterfall and pond. In order to really make the lighting to be customized with your unique style, then think of the mood lighting or perhaps you can dim the light depending on the atmosphere that you want to achieve outdoors.
- Curb appeal – just as the lighting will showcase what you want to be seen, proper placement can also help to take the focus from what you do not want to be seen. Use your lighting plan to make certain aspects of your landscaping or house to stand out. This can help to divert your eye away from what you would rather not want to showcase, such as your utility shed. Working with a pro can help you in determining the best placement of the lighting in your outdoors.
- Property Value – almost all the things that you will do to improve your house can certainly add more value to your property. Thus, the good news is that the initial upfront investment on landscape lighting will certainly have a good return on investment since it is guaranteed to increase the value of your property.
- Security – some homeowners usually cannot fully comprehend the real value of outdoor lights, which is providing an added security measure to your home. Remember that there are criminals out there who are just waiting for the right opportunity to rob your home.
A home that is well lit at light is definitely not the best candidate for burglary. Even if you would rather not opt for bright lights glimmering outside your homes, you may want to consider adding motion lights as deterrent instead.
Keep It Green
The good news is that it is possible to install outdoor lighting into your home and still make it an eco-friendly project. There are lots of options available when it comes to energy efficient lighting options if you want to include outdoor lighting in your landscape design. This will greatly benefit you in two ways. One, you are protecting the environment and another is that you will be able to save money on your monthly electric bills. So although green lighting is a more expensive option, investing on it is well worth it.