158 Ways to Go Green and Become More Eco-friendly as Well as The Benefits of Doing so
These days, there are a surprisingly huge amount of people, organizations, communities and businesses that have been putting so many efforts in conserving and protecting our natural resources. There are also lots of individuals who are interested in contributing in their own ways to become environmentally friendly, yet they just do not know where to start.
Understanding and learning the things that can help contribute to the positive changes in the environment while conserving the resources is the first step to becoming eco-friendly. So here’s a comprehensive article to help you get started, below all the topics covered in this article.
What Does It Mean to Go Green and Be Eco-friendly?
Going green simply means to pursue the knowledge and follow the practices that lead to living more ecologically responsible and environmentally friendly lifestyles that can help to keep the environment protected and sustain all its natural resources for the current and future generations. By becoming environmentally friendly, you commit to living a lifestyle that will do more good than harm to the environment. Furthermore, going green means taking the small steps towards protecting mother earth, helping to make this world a much better place to live in, especially for the future generations to come.
Benefits of Going Green
We all know that by going green we are doing something for the environment, which we ourselves can also benefit from somehow. But aside from this, there are actually so many good reasons why we should go green. By knowing these reasons, we will be more motivated to change our lifestyles and become eco-friendly.
- Increase home value – you can significantly boost your home’s value by making it environmentally friendly. Some of the things that you can do are installing solar panels, upgrading to water saving shower and toilets, and many more.
- Save money on your electricity bills – perhaps the biggest advantage for going green is that you could save hundreds of dollars on your bill. Energy Star appliances and water plumbing systems could consistently lower down your monthly bill.
- Massive savings on your energy cost – aside from lowering your electric bill, you also get to receive discounts if you will transform your home to a greener one, which is part of the government’s efforts to encourage everyone to go green.
- For the future of your kids – a lot of the environmentally friendly efforts that we are doing now could lead to a brighter, cleaner and better future for our kids and for the future generations to come.
- Improve your health and wellbeing – if you commit to living a green lifestyle, you are helping to decrease the pollutants in the air, thus, making our environment cleaner and healthier. This also results in us breathing a cleaner air that could help to improve our health and wellbeing.
- Improve your home’s durability – if you transform your home to an eco-friendly one, you are actually making it even more durable. Why? Because recycled products could last for about five times longer than the typical building materials.
- Cleaner and greener environment – if you’re going green, you are actually helping to minimize your carbon footprint. By minimizing pollution, you are also helping to reduce the amount of energy used, thereby creating a cleaner environment.
- It enhances your creativity – recycling is the best opportunity to bring out the creative juices in you. There are so many ways to recycle materials and the key is to just be as creative as you can.
- Breathe healthy air – by using all natural products, you are becoming a healthier person in the process. And if you’re healthy, this could lead to so many benefits, such as becoming productive in the workplace, saving money on hospital and medication, and many more.
- Reduce electricity – if you switch to renewable energy sources in your home such as investing in a solar, you are helping to reduce the electricity use in your home, which is tantamount to huge savings!
- Boost the economy – eating green also means going local and eating organic and seasonal products. By patronizing local produce, you are in a way contributing to your local economy.
- Self-sufficiency – going green can also help you to not fully rely on fuels as well as harmful toxins that destroy the environment. You’ll become more self-sufficient and you will be able to come up with new and innovative ways in going to your work.
- Increase your productivity – business establishments could benefit a lot by going green. By not using toxic products in the workplace, they are creating a healthier environment, which could boost up the productivity of their employees.
- Save the rainforests – each year a huge part of the rainforest actually goes to the development of highways, roads, agriculture and township. Because of the increasing urbanization, people are now invading rainforests for their own interests. By committing to an environmentally friendly lifestyle, you are helping save the rainforests.
- Reduce the carbon emissions – if you will opt for a greener transportation either by using public transportation or carpooling, you are actually helping to reduce carbon emissions that also help to reduce carbon footprint.
- Produce stuff that will require more energy – producing things from scratch will require more energy and will also have an impact on the environment. By choosing to go green and using products made of recycled materials, you are helping to minimize carbon footprints and also minimize the amount of waste that will go to landfills.
- Improve business – if you run a business and you go green, you will attract more customers. These days, more and more people are realizing the benefits of being eco-friendly and would rather patronize those companies that are helping to save the environment.
- Set a good example for others – if you go green, not only in your home but also in your workplace, you are setting a good example to your family, most especially the kids, as well as your colleagues.
- Using safe and nontoxic products – green products are nontoxic and this means that these will not in any way harm your skin since they are not made from toxic and harmful chemicals.
- Pay back what nature has done for us – as you know, nature has taken good care of us, giving us a home and a comfortable place to live in. If you become eco-friendly, you are somehow paying back all the good things that nature has done for us.
- You will be happier – experts believe that if you go green, you will become a happier and better person. This is because you will feel good about yourself and the environment around you.
Why Companies Should Go Green
Applying the green processes in your business can also come with so many benefits. Aside from giving your employees a cleaner and healthier place to work, you will also end up saving money by conserving energy. Here are reasons why companies should consider going green.
- Tax and legal advantages – going green comes with practical advantages because there are certain states that will allow you to enjoy tax and legal incentives. For instance, in the state of Florida, companies that produce and sell electricity out of a renewable facility could take out a corporate tax credit.
- Minimize waste – accumulation of waste is one of the most common issues a lot of businesses are faced with. By going green, you are helping to improve the overall efficiency of your business. Furthermore, by minimizing any unnecessary waste, it could trim down the overall operating costs of your business.
- Improved workplace – providing green options in a company can provide overall workplace improvement. For example, the use of green cleaning supplies could benefit employees who are suffering from health related conditions and respiratory illnesses.
- Sustainability – the bigger value of going green goes to maintaining the overall health of the environment. Making use of sustainable means could prevent wasting the natural resources and helps to minimize their depletion in the long run.
Check out these facts
Easy and Cheap Ways to Go Green
For those who are new to going green, sometimes, the process can seem overwhelming. But all it actually takes is doing some minor changes to your everyday living. Below are the various ways on how you can help the environment without spending a lot.
- Turn off the heater if your house is empty. In winter, set the thermostat at 68 degrees if you’re at home but turn it to 55 degrees if you’re away.
- Consider carpooling instead of driving alone to work.
- Turn off your computer and monitor off when not in use. Even if it’s on a sleep mode, it could still end up sucking some energy.
- Use a hydrid car when going on a long road trip.
- Clean the coils of your refrigerator at all times to remove all the dusts that have accumulated.
- Patronize eco-friendly companies at all times.
- Cancel your subscription of newspaper and instead, read the recent news articles online.
- Create a compost pile on your yard.
- Use rechargeable batteries and dispose old batteries properly.
- Instead of using paper napkins, make it a habit to use washable cloth napkins.
- Learn to recycle. There are so many ways on how you can incorporate recycling in your daily activities.
- File taxes electronically in order to cut back on the use of paper.
- Purchase a dog leash made of canvas or hemp instead of nylon.
- Donate all of your old newspapers by giving to animal shelters. Take your plastic bags back to grocery stores when you go shopping the next time.
- Share and recycle magazines. Give them to friends or pass them on.
- Patronize environment friendly beauty products and only buy accessories made from eco-friendly materials.
- Stop the use of toxin filled dryer sheets. Instead, go for the environment friendly alternatives.
- Take a break from watching TV and go for a hike instead.
- Carry your own mug when buying coffee. You might even earn discounts by doing so.
- Purchase e-tickets when watching movies to minimize the use of paper.
- Place houseplants inside your home to make your home greener and healthier.
- Encourage your electric company to use green power such as geothermal, solar, wind turbine and biomass.
- Schedule errands so as to consolidate all your trips and thus, save on gas.
- Redecorate your home by using eco-friendly initiatives such as using VOC-free paint for repainting.
- Repair any leaks on your faucet immediately and consider installing water saving showerheads and toilet faucets.
- Remove all those junk in the trunk of your car because the extra weight could mean more fuel.
- Pack your lunch using insulated lunch bags.
- Organize a yard sale or visit one when you need to buy something.
- Cover your pool if you are not using it. This will prevent the water from evaporating.
- Use cleaning products that are free from toxic elements and harmful chemicals.
- Encourage everyone in your household to recycle and keep all trash bins on convenient places.
- Always use the stairs, if any, instead of the elevator.
- Wear extra sweater or use blanket instead of turning the heater up.
- If you’ve got a baby, use diapers made of cloth instead of disposable ones.
- When buying toys, always go for those made from eco-friendly materials.
- Purchase used books or read e-books instead of buying new.
- Call a professional mechanic to tune up your car so as to avoid excess wear and tear and save money on gas.
- Reuse items before throwing them away.
- Purchase bigger jugs of milk. If you will only use half a gallon each time, pour half of the milk to a carafe and then freeze.
- Use CFL bulbs that could last ten times longer than the incandescent bulbs and LED.
- When buying crayons for kids, go for those made from beeswax instead of paraffin.
- Pay bills online in order to minimize the use of paper.
- Switch to manual operated can opener and use a sharp carving knife instead of electric operated knife.
- Keep reusable and inexpensive containers on hand when sending food to dinner guests.
- Always make sure to carry reusable water bottles so as to avoid buying bottled water.
- Invest on roasting pans instead of the disposable ones.
- Get your rake out and store your leaf blower at the garage in order to cut down emissions.
- If you are having a party, hire green vendors and organizers who patronize green products.
- Upgrade to Energy Star appliances to save electricity and help the environment as well.
- Always keep your freezer full since it could run more efficiently if it’s full than empty.
- Make use of products free from chlorine for your feminine hygiene.
- Make a resolution to commit to living an eco-friendly lifestyle.
Tips for Home
If you commit to living an environmentally friendly lifestyle, the first step is to apply it in your own home. So here are some ways on how you can have an eco-friendly home.
- Use eco-friendly home decors – redecorating is a great way to improve the look of our home, and if you commit to an eco-friendly lifestyle, then consider the use of home decors that are green, such as nature inspired décor ideas.
- Switch to green household cleaners – using green cleaners can help to minimize air pollution in your home and prevents exposure to allergy and asthma triggers. This is especially important if you have small kids at home who tend to be more sensitive to harmful chemicals.
- Insulate your home – adding insulation into your home can help to prevent leaky walls, ducts, doors and windows and help to improve your home’s energy efficiency as well by up to 30 percent. If upgrading to insulation is beyond your budget, then consider the use of thermal shades for your windows.
Tips for College Students
Even if you are still a student, there are many ways in which you can take part in saving the environment. Here are some of the green tips to follow.
- Use reusable water bottles at school – plastic production is increasing every year and you can help to minimize this by using reusable water bottles instead of buying bottled water every single day.
- Minimize the use of paper by jotting down notes electronically – consider taking down notes using your tablet or laptop so you can minimize the use of paper.
- Shop from thrift stores and garage sales – when shopping for school supplies, take time to visit thrift stores and garage sales. Aside from saving money, you also help save the environment by using recycled stuff.
Tips for Schools
Green living should not only be practiced at home or in the workplace. Schools must also adhere to eco-friendly living with these tips.
- Implement green cleaning, maintenance policies and pest control – the use of toxic cleaning supplies and chemical products are not only harmful for the environment but also for the students too, especially the young ones. So implement the use of green products when cleaning the school, especially the classrooms.
- Organize a student club for eco-friendly enthusiasts – a student club is a great way to take real environmentally friendly actions in the campus. The club can also organize campus activities such as recycling, cleanup drives, planting days and many more.
- Install energy meters – energy meters can help to encourage everyone in school to save water and energy all throughout the day. Most schools have already started sharing their energy use in this way. Aside from saving money, the use of energy meter in schools is also a great way to save the environment.
Tips for your Office
From adjusting the lighting system in your office to using recycled office supplies, there are absolutely so many ways on how you can go green in your office. Here are some tips.
- Purchase green office supplies like pens that can be repeatedly refilled and staplers that are staple less.
- Recycle office supplies, if possible.
- Go paperless and encourage everyone to use emails when sending notes.
- Print on both sides of the paper in order to minimize paper use.
- Turn off computers and other electronic devices in the office when not in use.
- Use energy saving appliances and lights.
- Do not leave the lights turned on at night.
In an effort to help save the environment, furniture companies have now come up with lots of eco-friendly furniture that are not only affordable and stylish, but are fully functional as well. If you are in need of furniture for your home or offices, here are some brands to consider.
- Bambeco – Bambeco is a company that believes in sustainable living. Their environment friendly furniture is made in accordance to three core values – restoration and clean water, forest preservation and water conservation. From dining sets to bed frames, they have all the furniture that you need for a greener and more environment friendly home.
- VivaTerra – the company upholds integrity and sustainability all through out the entire process of designing and manufacturing their furniture pieces. Most of these are globally inspired and have modern and innovative twist.
- Inmod – hailed as one of the best online furniture retailers, Inmod is known for using sustainable bamboo, wood and other sustainable materials in producing stylish and fully functional furniture pieces.
- Stem – the furniture of Stem are designed with a commitment to eco-friendly living and sustainability. In fact, the industry leaders on sustainability such as Eco Fabulous and Starbucks have patronized their furniture pieces.
The world is becoming more environment conscious and a lot of companies have also taken part in the government’s effort in conserving the environment. This includes using eco-friendly packaging materials. Here are some great ideas to get you inspired, just in case you are thinking of doing the same thing for your company.
- Comestible cup of KFC – the cup is made from biscuit that’s wrapped with sugar paper and doubled with layers of white chocolates in a shape of a cup.
- Clever Little Bag – this revolutionary packaging from Puma is made of a single removable frame made from cardboard. This shopping bag is said to save as much as 275 tons plastic each year.
- 360 Paper Bottle – this bottle is said to be the greenest bottle of all as it is made of a hundred percent recyclable and recycled materials, and has some coatings of recycled plastic inside.
- Green Packaging – this ecological packaging has been produced for Green Depot, and is made from a hundred percent recycled material, without using any plastic component.
- Eco-friendly packaging from Newton – this packaging is made from recycled materials and allows for the maximizing of the ease of recyclability, energy input and minimizing weight.
When it comes to eco-friendly cleaning products, you will find that there are actually lots of options available for you to choose from. As mentioned, more and more companies are now going green and are producing products that are highly sustainable and safe for the environment to use. Here are some of them.
- Laundress Surface Cleaner – this is a softly scented biodegradable cleaner that is made specifically for cleaning just about any hard surface in your home.
- Geenworks Free and Clear Laundry detergent – this product is known for its dermatologically tested natural formula that has the same stain fighting power as that of the Clorox, but without the harsh chemicals that comes with it.
- Earth Friendly Products Everyday Odor and Stain Remover – this helps to keep clothes and carpets to look and smell like new every day.
- J. R. Watkins Window Cleaner – this coconut based cleaner lifts smudges off your mirrors, glass tabletops and windows. It’s available in the scents of aloe and green tea, as well as lavender.
More and more companies are now doing their best to protect the environment by producing eco-friendly products. The good news is that even shoe manufacturing companies are now creating eco-friendly labels. Here are some of them.
- The People’s Movement – this shoe brand focuses on creating designs made out of eco-conscious materials as well as up-cycled plastic bags. They also support organizations that focus on minimizing plastic pollution.
- Brother Vellies – most of the brand’s classic styles are made out of Kudu leather, which is an animal by product that results from the use of culling, a government mandated process that helps to address overpopulation. The brand also practices vegetable drying instead of the usual chemical dying and uses recycled materials for the soles.
- Timberland – this is a famous shoe brand and the company is recognized for their efforts in reversing the decline of tree population. In fact, the company promised to plant tree in Transylvania for each pair of shoes they sell.
- El Naturalista – this is a brand that produces chrome free footwear, which is aimed at reducing the consumption of water, electricity, chemicals and gas for its production. They are also known for offering vegan footwear.
Aside from shoes, there are now also several brands of clothing that are geared towards protecting the environment. Here are some of the eco-friendly brands of clothing to consider.
- Cuyana – this brand is known for offering simple and classic pieces that are made out of high quality natural materials. The fabrics and textiles are usually sourced internationally, although the production is consolidated on one country. What’s more, they also use reusable bags in packing your clothing.
- Freedom of Animals – this company is based in New York and produces cruelty-free and sustainable luxury bags that are made from materials and fabrics that comprises of organic cotton.
- Reformation – this company’s mission is to produce killer clothes that will not in any way kill the environment. The company has a sustainable sewing factory in the United States that infuses eco-friendly practices in producing their products.
- Kowtow – this brand is based in New Zealand and specializes in producing organic clothing that’s sustainably and ethically made.
Eco-friendly gifts are a great idea. Aside from making the recipient of the gift happy, you will also end up contributing in saving the environment. These types of gifts need not be expensive. In fact, they are easy to find and you will find so many of them online. Here are some ideas to consider.
- Recycled stationery and notebooks – if you are giving gift to a student, then the recycled stationery and notebooks would be perfect. These are products made from a hundred percent recycled paper.
- Intelliplug – this is an energy saving adapter that can be a perfect gift for a gadget geek.
- Organic robes and towels – these are bath essentials made from organic cotton and bamboo fibers and are known for having 30 percent more absorbency as compared to those that are only made from cotton.
- Eco kettle – this kettle will boil only the amount of water that you will actually need. This will only not save the environment, but also your energy, time and effort.
Diapers are considered important baby essentials. However, they are actually the one of environment’s worst enemies. As a matter of fact, they account for almost two percent of all the garbage generated in the United States. But there are ways on how you can actually help conserve the environment through diapering and here are some tips.
- Naty diapers – these diapers are free from any chemicals, chlorine and perfumes. They are made out of renewable and natural materials that are breathable and will therefore not give your little ones rashes.
- Bambo Nature – these diapers have been certified by the Nordic Swan Eco Label to be free from harmful chemicals, and are also breathable. They are 75% biodegradable as compared to the standard diapers.
- Seventh Generation – these diapers are free from latex and fragrances and no chlorine were used in producing them. They are not whitened and come with a natural core fiber to improve absorption.
- Earth’s Best – these are chlorine-freed diapers that are available in various sizes and guaranteed made from renewable resources.
Purses and Handbags
If you love purses and handbags, you can help save the environment by patronizing those that are made from eco-friendly materials. So the next time you shop for a new purse or bag, here are some ethical brands to consider.
- Tribe Alive – this brand is committed to helping alleviate poverty among women through fashion as well as responsible commerce. Each of the bags they produce is handmade and represents the culture of the woman who creates the bag.
- Matt & Nat – this brand believes in appreciating humanity while living beautifully. They are committed to producing eco-friendly and sustainable products. All their bags are made only from vegan materials including recycled rubber tires.
- Parker Clay -the brand is focused at creating social and economic empowerment and commits to producing the best products possible. Their bags are made using premium organic materials.
- Slate + Salt – this brand is known for creating a collection of luxurious and one of a kind bags and jewelry pieces while also preserving the traditional techniques and supports the Fair Trade movement.
There are many reasons why you should switch to eco-friendly laundry detergents. As you know, most of the conventional laundry detergents are filled with chemicals that have not even been tested. If you’re in need of laundry detergent, here’s some of the most recommended detergent.
- Molly’s Suds – this is an eco-friendly laundry detergent that is free from toxins, harsh chemicals, fillers, preservatives, and other harmful substances.
- Biokleen – these products are free from ammonia, chlorine, phosphates, alcohol, petroleum solvents and other harsh chemicals. As a matter of fact, the brand receives an A grade from Environmental Working Group.
- Better Life – the products of Better Life are free from chemicals that are usually used to produce commercial laundry detergent. Just like Biokleen, this product is also rated A Grade.
- The Honest Company – the brand produces several laundry products that are safe for the environment. Aside from laundry detergent, they also have organic stain removers, laundry packs, etc.
Using eco-friendly sunscreen is one of the best ways to help save the environment. Unlike your standard sunscreen that contains harmful chemicals, these products are made from environment friendly ingredients.
- Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body – this product is made from certified organic ingredients, such as the golden yellow beeswax, extra virgin olive oil, jojoba oil, Shea butter, cocoa butter and lavender oil. Aside from protecting your skin against sunburns, it also helps to moisturize your skin.
- California Baby – this is a chemical free sunscreen that’s safe to use for your baby’s sensitive skin. It’s water-resistant and is effective even after 80 minutes of swimming. This sunscreen stick provides a smooth application without stains, making sure your child will get all the protection he or she needs.
- Loving Naturals Sunscreen – this eco-friendly sunscreen is made from organic ingredients where the main blocking agent is the zinc oxide. It contains mostly natural ingredients, such as organic hemp seed oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, etc.
If you are in the process of building a new house, building or remodeling one of the two, you can help in conserving the environment by using eco-friendly building materials. Here are some building materials that are guaranteed safe for the environment.
- Straw Bales – this material relies on new research and technology and is mainly used for the walls of a house within a frame, and is therefore a great alternative for wood, concrete, gypsum etc. They are not only affordable, but are highly sustainable as well, being one of the rapidly renewable resources.
- Grasscrete – this is a process of laying concrete walkways, flooring or sidewalks in a manner where there are open patterns that will allow for grasses and other flora to be able to grow. This provides for an overall benefit of reducing concrete usage and also provides important perks, such as improved drainage and storm water absorption.
- Rammed Earth – this is a technology that’s actually been used by humans for thousands of years now and could last for a long time. The modern rammed buildings can also be made safer with the help of a rebar or bamboo, along with mechanical tampers that could help to minimize the amount of labor needed to come up with sturdy walls.
- Shaw carpeting – this carpet is available in various patterns and colors, and the brand has an edge in the eco-friendly market due to their cradle-to-cradle policy, where each of the carpet are manufactured from a material that’s recycled into a new carpeting repeatedly, hence, creating a sense of sustainability.
- FLOR carpets – the brand’s mission is to eliminate any of the negative impact that the company has on the environment, while also producing affordable carpeting at the same time.
- Company C – the brand is known for producing the most gorgeous carpets and rugs that have a modern twist. What’s great about their products is that they are made from a hundred percent natural wool and ground and this means that they use less dye in producing the rugs.
Whether you are building a new house or remodeling your existing one, using an eco-friendly roofing material is a great idea. And if you’re not sure which roofing to go for, refer below for some eco-friendly roofing materials to consider.
- Recycled shingles – these are shingles made out of recycled waste materials, like rubber, plastic or wood fibers. They are amazingly durable and look great, too.
- Wood shingles and shakes – these are usually made from wood materials that were reclaimed from bridges, mills, wine tanks, etc. Although they are mostly used for roofing, they can also be used for siding.
- Slate and clay – these are natural materials that can make for a durable roofing tile. There are some companies that produce these roofing materials out of salvaged slate and clay tiles.
If you do not want to cause harm in the environment when insulating your home, here are some eco-friendly insulating ideas to consider.
- Sheep’s wool – the use of sheep’s wool as insulation is truly one of the most eco friendly insulating ideas. For this insulation, the wool fibers are being compressed, which leads to the formation of tiny air pockets. These pockets are capable of trapping air, and helps keep your home warm during winter and cool in the summer.
- Cotton – unlike the fiberglass and other insulating materials, cotton does not contain any harmful materials, like the formaldehyde, which is often linked to certain types of cancer. The material is great at absorbing moisture and if treated with boric acid, becomes flame retardant.
If you are tired of your existing flooring and you want to give it a whole new look, consider upgrading it to an eco-friendly one. Aside from giving your home interior a whole new look, you are also contributing to the environment by using any of these environment friendly flooring materials.
- Cork – this material is obtained from the bark of an oak tree and is a great material for flooring. The cork flooring also has anti-microbial properties that help to minimize allergens in your home, and also acts as natural insect repellent.
- Bamboo – another eco-friendly option for flooring is bamboo, which is a sustainable flooring made out of a natural vegetation that grows into maturity after about five years.
- Linoleum – this flooring is made from a concoction of cork dust, linseed oil, tree resins, pigments, wood flour, as well as ground limestone.
Replacing your countertops with eco-friendly materials is definitely possible. Here are some ideas to consider when it comes to this.
- Recycled glass – this is not only a great option for an countertop, but they can also made to resemble the beautiful stone countertops, with the use of colored glass pieces. These countertops can be made out of concrete, resin and tiles.
- Richlite paper-based – this countertop is a great alternative to plastic and stone surfaces. They are usually made out of the pulp from trees harvested from sustainable forests that have a closely managed environmental mandate. They are available in a wide variety of color options that are usually scratched, stained and heat resistant too.
If you are fond of jewelry, why don’t you consider patronizing the eco-friendly brands? Not only are they more stylish and affordable, but they also help save the environment by using eco-friendly materials. So here are some brands of jewelry known for their environment conservation efforts.
- Tyramin Jewellery – this is an American based jewelry brand that has full commitment to environmental and social responsibility by incorporating sustainable methods and materials for their products, whenever possible.
- Obo Jewellery – these jewelry pieces are mostly made of pure glass and some recycled metals. Most of their designs are usually inspired by nature.
- Brilliant Earth – this brand is famous for producing sustainably mined diamonds that are not only used as engagement rings but also to form the center of a sparkling diamond flower.
If there are eco-friendly decors, there are also eco-friendly lighting options. So if you are among the environment conscious individuals, using these light bulbs to illuminate your home is definitely a good idea.
- CFL or Compact Fluorescent Lamp – these bulbs work in the same manner as the traditional fluorescent bulbs but they are longer lasting and make use of less energy, which makes them a great option for eco-friendly lighting.
- Energy Star light bulbs – the Energy Star label can be found on products that are energy efficient. Thus, a light bulb that has the Energy Star label in them is a great option if you want energy efficient and green lighting.
Whether you run a restaurant business or you are among those who need to use food packaging for almost everyday, then here are some eco-friendly food packaging ideas to consider.
- Compostable bowls – these are recyclable bowls made out of plant fibers like bamboo, bulrush, as well as sugar cane.
- Biodegradable utility trays – these trays are made out of plant fibers as well and can be microwaved, frozen and can also be used in the oven.
If you are in need of some eco-friendly soap in your effort to help save the environment, then here are some of the most recommended soaps.
- Baby-mild Unscented Castile Soap – this baby mild soap is made from olive oil and is ideal for those who are often exposed to water, wind and sun every single day.
- Wilderness Wash – this is a concentrated wash that can go a long way even with only a few drops. It is packed in a highly durable container that could survive for long without spilling.
- Campsuds – this soap is not only green but can also repel insects. It is also made from essential oils and will keep you feeling fresh all day long.
- Wonder Wash – this is a pH neutral soap that can double as a shampoo. It’s perfect for irritated skin and is very gentle to use even on sunburned areas of your skin.
- Unscented Argan Oil – this is a cleansing towelette made from biodegradable materials. Only a few swabs of these wipes on your knees, groin and neck is enough to keep you feeling fresh and clean all day long.
Weed Killer for Lawns
You do not need to use those commercial weed killers just to effectively kill weeds in your lawn. As you know, these products are often laden with toxic and harmful chemicals that are not safe for your health and for the environment too. Below are some eco-friendly weed killers that you can safely use for your lawn.
- Landscape fabric – rolling out landscape fabric is one of the most eco-friendly ways of controlling weeds in your garden. Simply lay down a fabric that’s topped with some layers of mulch and all those pesky weeds will soon be gone.
- Use mulch – mulch is one of the best and the easiest fix when it comes to warding off weeds in your garden. They also help to keep your soil to stay wet and cool and eliminate the presence of weeds.
- Hire goats – instead of using those expensive chemical based pesticides, consider using goats in killing those weeds off. What’s great about goats is that they could reach those areas that people and machinery cannot get access to.
If you love to shop makeups, and even hoard plenty of them, consider adding eco-friendly brands to your collection. By patronizing these brands, you are somehow contributing help in saving the environment.
- BWC – this brand means “Beauty Without Cruelty”, and from the name itself, it produces beauty products without harming the environment. This brand is great for those with sensitive skin and they also produce accessories and other products that are a hundred percent vegan.
- Aveda – this company produces hair and skin care products, as well as cosmetics, and they believe in connecting the environment, beauty and well being in producing the best makeup products in the market.
- Kiss My Face – this brand is known for their hygiene and beauty products and they strive hard in producing makeup products that are made from renewable materials through sustainable manufacturing process.
Instead of buying those workout clothing that are made from fabric produced by materials that are made of harmful toxins, consider buying eco-friendly workout clothes instead. So if you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle while also trying to help save the environment, here are some workout clothes to consider.
- Alternative Apparel – this company believes in producing soft and sustainable clothing. Their goal is to come up with workout clothes have a retro look and a vintage feel.
- Patagonia – the mission of the company is to produce the best products for people who love outdoors while also helping to conserve the environment in the process.
- ShareHope – this company produces ethically made workout clothes in different sizes. Moreover, workers who are paid fair wage make the garments and all of the profits are put into social programs such as improvement of educational facilities.
Fertilizers are usually made of chemicals that are not only harmful to the environment but to our health, too. So if you need to use fertilizers on your plants, consider using these eco-friendly fertilizers instead.
- Milorganite Organic Fertilizer – this fertilizer releases nutrients to the soil slowly. The organisms in the soil will then digest and excrete organic fertilizers before they are converted to nutrients that help the plants grow.
- Bradfield Organic Fertilizer – this fertilizer is made mainly out of corn meal and alfalfa. It helps to nourish the soil and encourage the production of healthy plants with deep and robust roots.
What’s great about eco-friendly wedding ideas is that they are not only friendly to the environment, but they are also friendly on the pocket. So if you are tying the knot soon and you want to use eco-friendly décors to help save Mother Earth, here are some ideas to consider.
- Seeded Paper – these are recycled paper materials that can be used for wedding invites and contain tiny herb and flower seeds that will sprout when planted.
- Organic food – if you are really serious at helping to save the environment, then consider serving organic food in your wedding.
Environmentally friendly shampoo might be a new concept for you, but more and more people are actually choosing these brands instead of your usual shampoo brand that is often filled with harsh chemicals.
- Organic Surge – this shampoo is made from almond and black pepper, along with grape and olive extracts that help to moisturize your hair. This product has Ecocert certification, which means that it is made from 96 percent organic ingredients.
- Green People – this shampoo is great for those with sensitive skin, especially those who have eczema and psoriasis. It has the fresh smelling scent of aloe that revitalizes your hair.
- Desert Essence – this organic shampoo has a pleasant smell of coconut and is mainly made from organic ingredients.
If you want to keep your environment clean while also helping to save the environment, then consider using any of these environment friendly trash bags.
- Waverly Plastics wrap it up biodegradable waste bags – these trash bags are made from repurposed fiber that also double as a pet waste bag.
- BioBag waste bag – these are biodegradable waste bags made from starches that were derived from vegetable oils, plants and compostable polymers.
We use dishwasher soap every single day. Unknown to many, most of the commercial dishwasher soaps are actually filled with harmful chemicals. But the good news is that there are environmentally friendly dishwasher soaps that are made from natural ingredients and will not harm the environment in any way. Here are some of them.
- Ecover Dish Liquid – this is a highly concentrated dish liquid that is produced by a company committed in cutting down the packaging by using recycled bottles. The soap also contains herbal and aloe extracts that makes your hand feel smooth and protected.
- Life Tree Dish Soap – the soap has a super concentrated formula that is packaged in smaller bottles. The company behind the product has assured customers that they do not test their products on animals and they do not use any animal ingredients in producing the dish soap.
- Seventh Generation – the brand is known for producing products that are free from harmful chemicals like phosphates and chlorine and are guaranteed biodegradable.
Want to continue your information search? Check out this video with the 12 most environmentally friendly islands.