When you have finally decided to hire a contractor to provide coating to your garage floor using epoxy coating materials, the next thing you must think about is how to get the right contractor. Do you know what questions to ask and what qualities to look for? How do you make the final decision to hire one if you have identified more than one contacts who are qualified? The article below will be able to help you make that determination.
Unfortunately, not all professional companies out there can meet your expectations and requirements for your epoxy garage floor. There are bad apples that you need to identify and not hire. These are specialists who attended start up training conducted by some epoxy garage floor companies claiming to teach them everything they need to know.
The training normally takes only a few days or over the weekend. And sadly, these are the same specialists who engage in the industry of providing epoxy garage floor services. This type of practice often results in poor quality works and unsatisfied clients. These cases prove that careful assessment and selection process are important when hiring a contractor.
Know How to Find the Right Company to Hire
So, what exactly should you do to prevent the situation above from happening? Looking for a credible and reliable expert can be easy if you understand what to look for and what questions to ask to get the information that you need. On the other hand, it could be frustrating if you are not aware of what you need to do and this usually happens if it is your first time to hire an expert specializing in epoxy garage floor services.
For those who need some tips when hiring local epoxy garage floor contractors near you, read the article below. It aims to share with you the qualities that you need to look for to get the best contractor for you.
- If you need to hire an epoxy coating contractor for your garage floor, it is advisable to have some basic knowledge about epoxy coating materials. This will help you in your discussion with the contractor that you are planning to hire.
Understanding the types of epoxy coating materials will allow you and the specialist to have a more productive discussion as you can relate to what they are saying. Also, it is not good to rely on the specialist for everything. Keep in mind that your inputs as a homeowner are equally important.
- When you start interviewing companies, make sure to confirm if they have a valid license to perform epoxy coating services for your garage floor. Most states or cities require companies to have a license before they can operate and provide professional services.
If they have one, make sure to get the license code and check its validity. If they do not have a license or cannot give you a valid reason why they can’t get one or renew it, do not entertain the said specialist anymore and move to the next prospect.
- Aside from a license, ask also if they are insured. A responsible and reputable company should have themselves insured for the protection of their clients and their workers. The liability insurance works to the advantage of the client as damages to their properties caused by the contractor will be covered by the insurance company.
The labor insurance, on the other hand, is for the workers in case they get injured or pass away during the execution of the work. Get a copy of their insurance document so you can review it further and understand the scope of their insurance. You can also call the insurance company to help you validate its existence and accuracy.
- Reputation is one of the most important qualities that you need to look for in a professional contractor. It will serve as your assurance that they will deliver the work as expected. They will use high quality materials and will provide you an output based on what you have specially requested.
Most reputable companies have an active website where their profiles, services offered, mission, contact information and many other are published. This transparency gives consumers the confidence to hire and work with them.
Checking with the BBB or Better Business Bureau is another way to validate the reputation of an epoxy garage floor expert. They will have a log of cases or complaints filed against several companies.
- Aside from checking with the BBB and reading some reviews online, you can also ask the company that you are planning to hire to provide you with a list of homeowners they worked with before. These homeowners have actual experience of the services provided by a certain company so they can surely give you an accurate and relevant feedback. If a company refuses to give one or has a lot of excuses not to share you a list of their previous clients, then it is a clear sign that they may have done something unpleasant before.
- A company’s years in service is also a good indication of a company’s reputation and credibility. If a contractor has been providing epoxy coating services for garage floors for at least 5 years already, then you are bound to work with the right company.
However, do not immediately disqualify an expert who has less than 5 years of experience. Some of them are good and are up to offer more creative and advanced ways to deliver epoxy coating services. What is important here is to see their previous works and validate them with the client they serviced before.
- A contract is a must before starting any project with a professional contractor. Make sure that everything you have agreed to including warranties, services to be rendered, rates, materials to be used, payment terms, and the likes are documented. This will prevent either party from not delivering the services and not paying for them.