Many homeowners love renovating their house, particularly their bathroom. The reason maybe because of the simplicity it involves to decorate or reorganize a bathroom. Compared to other areas in the house such as the living room or kitchen, a bathroom is a lot smaller and contains a handful of accessories or items making it easier and more affordable to redesign or remodel.
Although hiring a pro is recommended if you want to remodel your bathroom, it is ideal that you, the homeowner, also knows some of the pointers to properly renovate a bathroom. Keep in mind that at the end of the day, the entire remodeling activity is being done for you to meet your requirements.
Tips to Follow to Ensure a Successful Project
Its success or failure will also depend on how effective you can communicate your needs to the local bathroom remodeling companies near you, that you hired. Hence, it is important to be aware of the process of remodeling a bathroom so you can share your inputs to the professionals you hired appropriately. Below are some of the tips to consider.
- Stick to simple colors such as cream or white when buying bathroom fixtures such as the toilet bowl, sink, and bathtub. The said colors are classic and will remain “in fashion” after several years. Multi-colored or colors other than white and cream may go “out of fashion” after some years and it may make it difficult or more expensive for you to remodel your bathroom after a few years. White and cream can also help in making your bathroom look cleaner and bigger.
- Plan the remodeling project carefully. As much as possible, try to include everything in the plan to make your bathroom fully functional. Consider adding built-in cabinets so you will have enough storage for bathroom accessories, toiletries and the likes. Adding them later on may make the work tougher and more expensive.
- Carefully plan and decide what flooring materials to use for your bathroom. For practical reasons, using a wood flooring may not be the best option to take. Yes, a wood flooring can give your bathroom a lot of character and elegance, but you can also get those qualities by using other types of flooring materials, which can resist water and moisture more. Using wood may require you to renovate your bathroom, or at least the flooring, after several years versus using tile materials.
- Proper lighting is also key in having a really nice bathroom. Some homeowners use dim or drop lights in their bathrooms to have a warm and welcoming feel. This, however, is more appropriate in living rooms. Keep in mind that we fix and clean ourselves in the bathroom. You would need a very good lighting to see your face, don’t you?
- In relation to the item above, if you really want a little drama in your bathroom through lighting, you can install a dimmer device or switch so you can change the brightness of your lights as needed. This will allow you to have a more relaxing dip in your tub especially at night.
- Even with a small bathroom, having some bathroom decorations is also recommended. Some put indoor plants while some prefer to showcase a really nice chair or couch where they can rest before taking a bath. These items can make your bathroom look more functional and not just a typical bathroom
- This may be a matter of belief, but in Feng Shui, it is advised not to position the toilet bowl where it will be facing the bathroom door.
Now that you have received some pointers on how to remodel your bathroom, getting bathroom remodeling contractors that will perform the more difficult part of the remodeling activity is your next concern. Hiring the services of bathroom contractors to renovate your bathroom is necessary as the work may require plumbing and electrical skills, which a regular homeowner like you may not have. The said skills require years of training and actual experience in order to execute the work properly. Performing the work “do it yourself” style without the required skills may just ruin the entire project and cost you more in the long run.
Consider the Following Factors Before Hiring Bathroom Remodelers
Below are some of the factors you need to consider before hiring anyone.
- The most difficult part when you need to hire professional services for your bathroom renovation is to look for the best individuals to do the work for you. Asking for referrals is a good start. Check with someone you trust if he or she can recommend some reliable bathroom remodeling pros to do the work for you. Ask what qualities the group has that earned their trust and recommendation.
- As you get a number of referrals, make sure to transact with more than 1 professional group so you have your options available. Ask for documented proposals and price estimates to help you make the right decision.
- An insurance is very important when hiring the services of professionals. It will serve as your protection against unprofessionalism or unethical execution of work, poor quality of work, and the likes. Getting into a contract with licensed specialists should come with an insurance covering personal liabilities, worker’s compensation, and property/asset damage.
- Having a license is not enough to prove a company’s quality of work. Yes, they may have the license and may have been in the business for years, but did they complete all their contracts satisfactory previously? The only way to confirm is to check their reputation with the Better Business Bureau or BBB.
- Do your homework too. Make sure to check with your local authorities in terms of building regulations and license requirements as these differ by state and city. Afterwards, make sure that the experts that you will hire have an updated and appropriate license to work on your bathroom or house remodeling plan.
5 Types of Shower
The installation of a shower is also one of the major tasks involved in a bathroom remodel that a contractor will have to do for you.
Knowing which type of shower to choose will not only make the installation easier but will also ensure that you will find your shower advantageous. Since different types of shower offer different benefits, it is ideal to know more about these various types before hiring local shower installation companies near you. This way, you can determine which shower type is best for your needs and preferences.
Every shower type also has varying costs, depending on the specifications. Hence, you might want to learn more about them so that you can choose the one that best suits your budget. Due to this reason, you need to read up on different types of shower before you start making plans for the installation project.
Different Types of Shower
Below is a short list of shower types available in the market today. Read them to know more about the options that you will be given when you hire professional shower installers to make the project a little easier for both parties.
- Digital showers
Digital showers are often chosen due to their ease of installation and benefits. The shower’s temperature and pressure are controlled by a panel that is installed in the shower and powered by a power unit at a cupboard or the ceiling nearby. This means that the installation does not only involve the shower cubicle itself by a nearby spot where the power unit is installed. This is ideal for homeowners who want to ensure that the power unit of their shower is not affected by the water.
Maintenance and repair is easier since the bathroom can be used even when the power unit is being serviced. To test the power unit, the shower cubicle will be used during maintenance, though, which is quite understandable.
This is a modern type of shower since the controls are stylish and can be managed specifically to your needs. There is no bulky heater at the shower and the controls are often flat on the walls, creating a futuristic and minimalistic look.
- Electric showers
Electric showers are quite common and are often used in homes and hotels. The heater is installed into the shower cubicle wall and draws water from the source and heats it up and supplies the showerhead. The temperature can be controlled through the unit but the water pressure is controlled by the showerhead.
This is easier to install since there are no power units that need to be installed in a separate location. This type of shower is also quite energy efficient and is often chosen because it saves a lot of energy. There is no wastage because the water is heated on demand, removing the need for a tank for the hot water that will be supplied to the shower.
- Mixer showers
Mixer showers get the water from both hot and cold sources. Homes with boilers already installed are ideal for this type of shower to increase efficiency and comfort when using the shower. Since the water supplied to the shower is increased due to multiple water sources, the water pressure is increased.
This is ideal if you are looking for a shower option that delivers water to multiple showerheads. Since both cold and hot water can be supplied to the unit, water flow is better compared to other shower types. This makes it a better option for multiple shower heads in a single shower cubicle.
Different types of shower heads can also be used in this type of shower. Adjustable head, fixed head and handset are all compatible with this shower option.
- Pressure showers
Pressure showers are a lot like mixer showers because they draw both from hot and cold water sources. This type of shower, however, has an additional pump to boost the pressure of the water being sprayed. This is often used in homes where the water supply is not enough to provide adequate pressure to the shower.
This is ideal for users who want to experience a more relaxing shower session as well. Because pressure showers can also act as a massager due to the pressure of the water they supply, they are often used for relaxation. Multiple types of shower heads are also available in this shower type, making it a versatile option.
- Eco showers
Eco showers are a lot like other types of showers that provide hot or cold water but these models are focused on water efficiency. Electric and mixer showers can also be eco showers if they are equipped with features that enable the users to save more water during shower sessions.
Different shower heads can also be used for this kind of shower. The temperature of water is not affected by the efficiency of water usage since the temperature can be controlled by the power unit. This makes it an ideal option if you don’t want to waste water while showering but also don’t want to decrease the quality of your showers.
If you don’t want to experience changes in temperature on your water when showering, use a thermostatic shower. This is a type of shower that maintains the temperature of the water even when someone else is using a tap in other parts of your house. This will ensure that you won’t get hurt or burned due to sudden rush of hot water when cold temperature water is used in your house while you are bathing. This is ideal for shower types that get their supply from a boiler or a mix of hot and cold water from the pipes.
An electric shower, however, does not need a thermostatic type of shower since they only get cold water from the source and heat the water up based on the users’ demand. It is important to note this so that you can choose the best options for your shower installation project. Knowing what should go with certain shower types will not only make your project more beneficial but will also save you money by not having the need to get additional features that you won’t really use.
Ready to Get Free Estimates or Quotes For Your Bathroom Remodeling Project?
Getting free estimates and quotes for your bathroom remodeling project is easy. You just have to head to the top of this page, take 2 minutes to fill out the form, and we’ll do the rest. We’ll match you with the most relevant contractors near you that will reach out to better understand your project.
When they then make their offer, it comes with no obligation to you. It’s that easy!