Having a fireplace at home is a necessity especially if you are in a country that has winter or a cold season. Aside from keeping you and your family warm, a fireplace is a good accent spot, making a house look more elegant and welcoming. The warmth it can bring during a cold night is definitely worth the cost and time to put it up.
Installation and Maintenance are Important
Installation of a fireplace must be taken seriously as it involves a lot of work. It must be carried out properly, otherwise it may cause a lot of serious problems in the house. It must also be inspected on a regular basis and repaired if needed. It must be kept in a safe and good condition to get the most out of it when it is operated. A fireplace must also be cleaned frequently to prevent it from malfunctioning easily. All these can be performed by a professional fireplace contractor.
Because of the items above, it is obviously recommended to work with experts when you decide to have a fireplace installed in your house. As discussed earlier, they can execute a number of services as shown below.
- A fireplace specialist can be very much involved in planning for the activity and making sure that you will have a functional fireplace before the winter. They will help homeowners in preparing the area where it will be installed and make sure that it is within a safe distance or location.
- A fireplace expert can also help in making the design of your fireplace. A fireplace comes in various types and designs. You have the option to use a fireplace operated either by gas, wood, or electricity. A contractor can definitely help you choose the right type for your house based on your budget, the setup of your house, and many other factors.
- Aside from installing your fireplace, a professional will be able to help you with post-installation activities such as cleaning the area, repairing and removing it as appropriate. All these post-installation activities can cause a lot of inconvenience to a homeowner, especially for someone who has a very busy professional life. But getting the services of a professional fireplace group can remove your worries away. These experts can make sure that those activities are performed timely and properly.
- A licensed installer can also convert or change your fireplace type if the situation calls for it. If you have a fireplace that is operated by gas and you do not want to continue using it due to the foul odor it brings, then a specialist can convert it to a wood or electric type depending on what you want.
- A professional fireplace installer also has the skills and experience needed to upgrade your or re-design your fireplace as needed.
- A licensed installer can set up your fireplace as well in a house which already has a fireplace. This is normally one of the challenges homeowners face as fireplaces come in various sizes. And in most cases, the fireplace that you have may not fit the existing chimney in the house. But a professional fireplace contractor can make this activity seem very easy. They can make a way to perfectly fit your heating machine into the existing fireplace and make it operate well after installation.
Qualities Fireplace Installers Should Possess
Aside from the activities that a professional fireplace installer can execute for you as shown above, there are many other reasons why hiring a contractor is recommended.
- When planning for any type of house renovation or work, dealing with a friendly contractor will make a lot of difference. Getting a good customer experience is what all consumers want to experience. These professionals are friendly, which means that they are approachable, polite, and will always be willing to help you with anything you need and answer any question that you may have.
- These licensed remodelers have the right skills and experience to design, install, repair, upgrade, and convert your fireplace. They work like a one-stop-shop which means that you can get everything you need just by hiring one contractor.
- Also, professional fireplace specialists can deliver the work safely all throughout the project. They can keep the workplace safe for you and your family, your properties, and their co-workers as well. Complying with various safety guidelines is critical to prevent any mishaps during the activity.
- As mentioned earlier, there are various types of fireplaces in the market today. A professional fireplace expert can help you choose the right fireplace for you based on cost, quality, design, and other factors. Without the professional assistance from an expert, choosing and getting a fireplace on your own can be a disaster. Indeed, hiring one will be beneficial to you.
- These contractors are knowledgeable about fireplaces very well, and call also give you more ideas. They can share some operating and cleaning tips with homeowners to prevent it from malfunctioning at an early stage. Cleaning a fireplace is important to keep the air around the house clean and fresh. If you cannot clean your fireplace on your own, then the specialists you hired can definitely assist you in cleaning it and the chimney according to your agreement.
These are also companies that will be able to provide refacing services to you.
Ask the Following Questions
Here are a few questions that will help you confirm the qualifications of a professional fireplace company.
- Is there a showroom displaying your actual units?
Before hiring a fireplace contractor, or any type of contractor for that matter, it is important to see the type of work they can deliver. One of the ways to fulfill this is by visiting a company’s showroom.
- Do you have the license to execute the work?
This is one of the ways to validate the quality of work a contactor can provide.
- Do you provide other services other than fireplace installation?
It will be a plus if the specialists that you will hire can carry out other services such as repair, cleaning, upgrade, and a lot more.
Experienced fireplace installation and remodeling companies near you shouldn’t have any problems answering these questions.
Types of Fireplaces
If you are completely replacing an existing fireplace or simply installing one because you don’t currently have one, it’s a good idea to learn about the many different options you can consider for the project.
The different types of fireplaces include corner ones, hanging ones, the ribbon style, two-sided and a wood stove, although the standard one is the most common of the types. The ribbon fireplace is a narrow one well suited for modern homes.
When installing a fireplace you should also consider the type of fuel that it uses and the implications of such a fuel. Wood is the most traditional material that has been used for the longest time, but other types of fuel for fireplaces include ethanol, gel, gas and electricity.
Burning wood has been the way that people have used to stay warm for the longest time. They’re not necessarily the cheapest option since they not only cost quite a bit to have installed, you also need to buy the actual wood and regular cleaning cannot be avoided since it produces a lot of ash. They’re also distinct in the scent that they create and a lot of people love them for their more natural feel.
Ethanol is another material used to power fireplaces, although this isn’t at all the most common type out there. It uses liquid bioethanol to power it and it can be adjusted in order to provide more or less heat, which is a disadvantage you do not the same way get with wood-powered fireplaces. Although available in beautiful designs, you won’t find this option replacing your HVAC unit anytime soon.
Gas is a more common type than ethanol, although it does require that your home is in fact tied up to a gas source. They’re efficient in providing a cozy feel at a reasonable price tag. The different types of gas include liquid propane or natural gas.
Electricity can also be used to power your fireplace by heating interior coils. It means that the fire you see inside isn’t actual fire but simply a fake flickering flame. The main advantage with this option is that it doesn’t require venting given that it isn’t actually produce fire, simply the illusion.
Consideration During the Process of a Fireplace Remodel
The two main things you should be concerned about during the remodel is the overall look that you are trying to create, and secondly you should set a budget for how much you’re planning on spending on the project. Simply remodeling an existing one does not need to be too expensive as there are a lot of things you can do to change its look relatively cheaply. The same way you can have house painters come by and give the exterior of the home a fresh coat of paint, so can you with the fireplace, and it is often the texture and color that will be changed during the remodel of an existing unit.
To ensure the success of the project, you should be sure to find and work with the best fireplace contractors.
Changing Up Your Fireplace Mantel
The chimneypiece or more commonly referred to as the mantel, is the area that surrounds your fireplace insert. You can either completely remove the current mantle or you can make upgrades to an existing one. Mantles can cost as little as $100 upwards of several thousand dollars.
You should know that by having its color made lighter, you can give it a new look and also make it seem bigger. There can also be significant trim work that will need to be reworked when you’re remodeling a fireplace.
The mantel will very much help determine the style of your home with some being a lot better options if you’re trying to create a temporary look, while others will create a more traditional look.
Using the Right Colors and Texture for Ambiance
Fireplaces will likely be proportionally sized relative to the home, there may still be something you do not like about the current setup. Remember that the different aspects of your home should be used in order to create unity which can often be done simply by changing the color palette slightly, which can also be done to accommodate to other changes you have been making in your home.
If you’re having the pros come to paint your fire place in a new color, this requires also making sure that the area is primed and prepped for the paint to stick as well as it can.
When your goal is to make the fireplace stand out, you can have it painted in complementary but contrasting colors. If you think the fireplace or mantel is overly dominating the living room, you can either replace the mantel or have it painted in a color that will pop less.
Fireplace refacing contractors can help in recommending different changes to make sure that your needs are best met, whether you want to make it more modern, make it stand out more or have it be more neutral.
Doing Something About Your Traditional Wood Fireplace
If your fireplace was installed decades and decades ago, chances are it’s using wood, and chances are also that you may want to make changes to it. While wood is a renewable fuel source, it might no longer be the one to best live up to your fireplace needs and desires.
A lot of homeowners are switching to a gas fireplace simply because it offers a lot of advantages, including requiring a lot less maintenance. Buying and loading wood into the fireplace is also more of a hassle than it will be to keep a gas fireplace burning.
Additionally, burning gas is cleaner and safer too. You don’t run the risk of a coal suddenly jumping out of your fireplace if it is left unprotected. You don’t want big sparks to be jumping around your living room becoming fire hazards.
It will also need more attention when it’s actually burning. Some wooden fireplaces may have an adjustable air intake which lets you to some degree control how strong it is burning, but you will still need to be there to turn it either up or down.
Finding the Right Contractor for the Project
No matter what type of fireplace it is you want to have installed or remodeled, you should consider turning to a pro to get it done. The best way to ensure you get what you want is to talk with different companies about your needs and hearing what recommendations they have.
If you want to have an electrical option installed, you might need to also consult with an electrician to get the necessary cabling installed in the best manner.
Your own imagination is what sets the boundaries when it comes to remodeling your fireplace, although its condition might need to be addressed if you aren’t simply going to replace the mantel.
Since pros have done this kind of work a lot of times before, they’re able to provide you with the best advice. They can tell you what changes you should consider.
Getting Quotes for Your Fireplace Remodeling Project
Use the form on our site to easily get in touch with the best contractors offering fireplace remodeling. Just complete the form and send it and expect to receive up to 4 affordable quotes from the best local fireplace remodeling companies. It’s free for you, and only takes 2 minutes to fill out the form. What are you waiting for?