Kansas Contractor Licenses

With the exception of asbestos abatement and water well drilling, Kansas doesn’t license construction contractors at the state level. But you should check for licensing requirements at the local level.

Contractor License Lookup in Kansas

Where do you go when you want to lookup the license of a contractor in Kansas?

For a list of licensed asbestos abatement contractors, click http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/asbestos/download/contract.pdf.

For links to county information, click on http://skyways.lib.ks.us/counties/. For links to city websites, click on http://skyways.lib.ks.us/towns/.

There are some registration requirements for revenue purposes in Kansas. If you’re a non-resident contractor, you have to register each contract worth over $10,000 with the secretary of revenue. It will cost you $10 for each contract.

If you register with the Secretary of State (see below) you don’t have to register your contracts. You do have to file a bond with the Director of Revenue in Kansas for any contract you register before you start any work on the contract. The amount of this bond is 8 percent of the contract (minimum $1,000).

To do business in Kansas, register with the Kansas Department of Revenue. You can contact them at:

Department of Revenue
State of Kansas
Docking State Office Building
915 SW Harrison St., 3rd Floor
Topeka, KS 66625-0001
(913) 296-0222
Fax: (913) 291-3614

They will send you forms and information booklets to tell you how to register contracts, get a tax number, post bonds, and so on.

Asbestos Abatement

You must be licensed to do asbestos abatement work in Kansas. For information contact:

Department of Health and Environment
Bureau of Air and Radiation
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 310
Topeka, Ks. 66612-1367
(785) 296-6024
Fax: (785) 291-3953

Asbestos abatement contractor’s license fees: The license will cost $1,000 and is good for one year.

Water Well Contractor 

For information contact:

Department of Health and Environment
Bureau of Water
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 420
Topeka, Ks. 66612-1367
(785) 296-3565

You will need to pass an exam conducted by the Department.

Water well driller contractor’s license fees: The application fee is $10. The license will cost $100 plus $25 for each drill rig you will operate. The license is good for one year.

Department of Transportation (DOT)

You must be prequalified to bid on Kansas Department of Transportation projects. To get the Department application for prequalification (called a Contractor’s Qualification Statement and Experience Questionnaire), contact:

Kansas Department of Transportation
Docking State Office Building
915 Harrison
Topeka, KS 66612-1568
(785) 296-3566
E-mail: [email protected]

Here are some of the things the questionnaire will ask:

  • what construction equipment you own
  • what your work experience is
  • what work you’ve completed
  • what surety company will furnish your bonds
  • what classes of work you want to be prequalified in

Here are some of the classes of work the Department uses:

Grading Rest area structures, buildings
All structures Electric lighting, traffic signals
RC box structures, culverts, misc. concrete All signing and delineation
Light surfacing Minor signing
Base courses Pavement marking
Plant mix bituminous mixtures Guardrail, fencing
Portland cement concrete pavement Bridge/structure painting
Seeding, roadside improvement Miscellaneous

Prequalification is good for up to one year.

Out-of-State Corporations

An out-of-state corporation doesn’t have to register with the Kansas Secretary of State to do business in the state. However Kansas does require any out-of-state corporation to post a bond of 8 percent (minimum $1,000) on any contract it has over $10,000. If you register with the Secretary of State, you don’t need to post this bond. It will cost you $10 to register with the Secretary of State. To get an application, contact:

Secretary of State
Capital Building, 2nd Floor
Topeka, KS 66612
(913) 296-4564
Fax: (913) 296-4570

Find an error? Please e-mail the Web Master