New York State Contractor Licenses

Except for asbestos abatement work, all construction work in New York is regulated at the local level.

Contractor License Lookup in New York state

Where do you go when you want to lookup the license of a contractor in New York state? To find out if a contractor is licensed, you will need to contact the licensing board in that contractor’s community. You can also look them up by name or zip code at

Asbestos Abatement Contractor’s License

To do asbestos abatement work in New York you must get a license. To get an application, contact:

NYS Department of Labor
License and Certificate Unit
Building 12, Room 161A
State Campus
Albany, NY 12240
(518) 457-2735

The application is available online. Click here to link to it.

Asbestos abatement contractor’s license fees: For companies working with asbestos, to get a license you must certify that all your employees are certified to do asbestos work. You must also have workers’ compensation and disability insurance. It will cost you $500 to get an asbestos abatement contractor’s license; The license is good for one year. The renewal fee is $300. New York doesn’t have any reciprocity agreements with other states for this license.

The Division also issues individual certificates. Here’s a list of them and the cost
of each:

Certificate type Fee
Handler $50
Restricted handler $50
Operations and maintenance $50
Air sampling technician $75
Inspector $100
Management planner $150
Supervisor $75
Project designer $150
Project monitor $150

You must have passed an approved asbestos training course for any certificate no more than one year before you apply for the certificate. An individual certificate is good for one year but it expires on the last day of your birth month.

Department of Transportation (DOT)

You don’t have to be prequalified to bid on New York Department of Transportation projects. However you must fill out a questionnaire from the Construction Division if you’re a low bidder on a bid contract. Some of the details the Department will ask you about are your organization, personnel, financial condition, equipment, and experience. If you submit this questionnaire to the Department and the information doesn’t change, it’s good for one year. The Bureau address is:

Construction Division
Department of Transportation
Washington Ave., State Campus, Bldg. 5 Rm. 8
Albany, NY 12232
(518) 457-1564
Fax: (518) 457-8475

Proposed projects are listed in the Notice of Highway Lettings. You can subscribe to this for $32 a year. For subscription information, contact the Bureau.

The Department has requirements for its construction projects that you need to know about before bidding on a project. You can get information about this in their publication, Standard Specifications, which they sell for $25.

The questionnaire and publications listed above are also available online at

Out-of-State Corporations

Corporations doing business in New York must register with the New York Secretary of State to do business in the state. For information, contact:

NYS Department of State
Division of Corporations
41 State Street
Albany, NY 12231
(518) 473-2492
Fax: (518) 474-5173
E-mail: [email protected]

Find an error? Please e-mail the Web Master