Some Factors to Consider when it Comes to the Garage Door Opener Installation Cost
In this day and age, if you are still opening or closing your garage door manually, then you have a lot of catching up to do to embrace technology. The advancements we have seen over the years because of technology have made our lives simpler and more comfortable.
The advancement in technology mentioned above does not exempt your garage door. Gone are the days when opening or closing of the garage door requires too much effort or physical force. Garage doors may now be upgraded to have an automatic door opener.
Installing one will not only make you and your family member’s life easier. It will also provide added security to your home. In terms of convenience, you do not need to step out of the car just to manually open or close your garage door. This is indeed a convenience worth paying for.
Important Factors to Consider
A garage door opener has many types. Each one of them has its own benefits and disadvantages. Understand the various types it has since each type costs differently. Keep in mind that it is important to understand the garage door opener installation cost. Below are some of the details for your reference.
- Installation of one unit of garage door opener will cost around $200 to $425. This cost may vary and would still increase due to the cost to pay a professional garage door opener installer.
- A homeowner may decide to install the garage door opener DIY style as long as he or she has the experience and proper skills to do it. Having the right tools to execute the work safely and easily is also needed. Doing the work DIY style will take about 6 hours to complete depending on the homeowner’s experience and skills. It is believed that doing the work DIY style will bring the cost down by around 50%, but it won’t be easy.
- If a homeowner is not comfortable to install the garage door opener himself, then hiring the services of a professional garage door opener is an option. Many homeowners recommend this option because of the professional assistance they can provide.
You will be able to save time and effort as well. From 6 hours, the completion time of installation will be reduced to 1 hour and 30 mins if it is done by an expert.
Also, you can be assured that your garage door opener will be installed correctly and safely. These benefits, however, will come with a cost. The cost to get the services of a garage door opener expert will cost between $70 and $80.
- As mentioned earlier, there are various types of garage door opener. The type of opener that you will choose will have a direct impact on the overall cost. The screw-drive opener, for example, will cost around $150 to $250. This creates a lot of noise as compared to the chain-drive variety, which would cost between $130 and $180.
The belt-drive opener is the quietest of all the 3 types of garage door opener. As such, it is also the most expensive with its cost ranging from $170 to $350 per unit. The prices mentioned above are the fees for the unit only and can only operate one door.
- The garage door opener installation cost may also be impacted by the various features a garage door opener has. In most locations, it is required that all garage doors contain a reverse directional option as a safety feature. This feature prevents the door from closing fully when its sensor registers an obstacle underneath.
The said obstacle can be any object or could be a human being. Hence, the said feature is important as it will prevent accidents or unintentional crushing. It is also required that garage doors have an infrared beam that will monitor if your car has already left or if you have already arrived. Garage doors must also have an emergency power option or a battery to prevent the door from completely shutting down in case of a power outage.
And lastly, these doors should still have an option for manual operation when all the features and options above fail. All these features will increase the cost of the garage door openers in one way or another.
- Installation of a single unit of garage door opener can cost as low as $100 and can go as high as $750.
- On average, homeowners spend around $325 to have a garage door opener installed.
- A remote control is an added device that has also increased the cost of a garage door opener. It is like a keychain with buttons that will allow you to open and close your garage door by simply clicking a button on the control. The remote control must be programmed to work with your garage door opener and must contain a code to prevent thieves from controlling your garage door. A remote control for your garage door opener will cost between $30 and $60.
- Another added accessory or feature that can be bought with a garage door opener is a safety lighting feature. This is placed directly to the motor or device. This feature gets activated or opens up as soon as your garage door opener is turned on.
The lighting can also work even if the door is closed. The light stays on for about 30 seconds after the door closes. Adding this feature to your garage door will require you to add between $50 and $100 to have it installed by a professional garage door installer. Buying just the lightbulb and installing it yourself will cost around $10. With these options, it is still recommended to get the services of an expert as it requires some electrical skills.
Items Required to Install a Garage Door Opener
Consider this list when determining the cost:
- Socket wrench
- Tape measure
- Adjustable wrench
- Wire stripper
- Drill driver
- Level ladder
- Hacksaw pliers