Small and Big Living Room Ideas for you to Consider and Implement
The living room plays multiple functions in the house. It is where members of the family spend their bonding time together, watch TV, play games, discuss things, take a rest, and many others. It is also the place in the house where visitors are received and entertained. From a visitors’ perspective, it is the place inside the house that they see first.
Because of the activities mentioned above, it is important to make a living room as comfortable and as welcoming as possible. Hence, choosing the right living room furniture, accessories and decors is critical in order to get the right living room for a homeowner based on his or her preferences and requirements. The color, size, design, and many others need to be assessed carefully as they all play a vital role in determining the atmosphere that a living room will provide. Even lightings can affect the ambience of a living room so it must be properly selected and positioned within the room.
Aside from homeowners having different preferences and requirements, another factor that makes decorating a living room challenging is the fact that they have a layout that varies in size and shape. Because of this, there are several guidelines that need to be followed in designing a living room depending on its size and shape. Keep in mind that the design, decoration, or setup you execute can either make or break your living room so it is important to think about the overall look before buying any living room furniture, accessories, and decors.
Below are various ideas in decorating or setting up a living room based on various circumstances.
When you’re considering remodeling your home, you should really spend the necessary time finding the right contractor to work with.
Small Living Rooms
In many homes, making a small living room, or any small area for that matter, look bigger is every homeowner’s challenge. Because of the limited space, careful planning is needed to at least make the place look bigger than what it really is. This is important to improve the quality and mood of the place, which helps make a room feel more comfortable for the owner, the family members, and their guests.
One of the ways to enhance the look of a small area and prevent it from looking and feeling tight and restricted is through proper decoration. The kind of decors and lighting we use for a small space are critical as they can either make the area look smaller or bigger. Our goal is to achieve the latter obviously. Color, size, weight, and design of the decors will matter a lot in this situation so make sure that they are well thought of or discussed with experts.
In decorating small spaces, using the traditional technique may not be the best option to take as it is normally intended for rooms that have a regular or bigger size. Homeowners must be willing to learn and try new ideas as they can surely meet the requirements of your small space when it comes to decorating as products nowadays try to meet the demands of almost all of our needs.
There are various ways to maximize the space of your small living room. Making it look bigger can also do the trick in some cases so be sure to evaluate the space carefully to achieve an area that is functional and truly comfortable. Below are some of the small living room ideas and how you can implement them in your own house.
- Decorate using mirrors – Mirrors are very good in making an illusion of creating extra spaces, thus making a small space look bigger. Because of this, most designers would normally suggest using them as a strategy when decorating or renovating a small living room. One of the ways to do this is by hanging a big mirror in a central spot to come up with a focal area. For a better ambiance or aesthetic value, put a light source near it such as a pendant light, a candle, or a lamp. It is also recommended to put it across from where the window is so the mirror can reproduce its view, thus creating an image of another window.
- Attract the eyes upward – In decorating a room, it is important to understand some concepts to get you started. For example, you have to be aware that a room has horizontal and vertical dimensions. For living rooms that have a high ceiling, make use of that height or dimension by designing it in such a way that it will draw the eyes of an individual upward. A window treatment installed from the ceiling to the floor is an effective way to achieve this objective. Another way to maximize the area or make it look big is by decorating the area with small to medium-sized art pieces vertically. This idea will create a bigger illusion of the room than its actual size because it will make the eyes of your guests look around instead of getting confined horizontally.
- Use neutral or light colors – This strategy is one of the most popular ways that many homeowners are familiar with. Use of light colors for the flooring, walls, ceiling, and furniture fabric is recommended as they give a light feeling or a calm setting, thus making the place look and feel more comfortable. They also have a tendency to brighten up an area as they can reflect the light better than dark colors.
- Use lightweight furniture or house appliances – If you have a small area, it is important to take into consideration the visual weight of the furniture or appliances that you will get. This is based on the perception that the size of an item dictates its weight. If an item looks heavy, then it may appear to be big as well thus making your space look smaller. Because of this, it is recommended to choose furniture using lightweight materials or at least those that appear to be lightweight to prevent making a small area feeling or looking more constricted. This has something to do with color as well. As discussed in the previous item, light colors are recommended as they appear to be more lightweight. Also, select furniture with legs as the extra space in between the furniture and the floor makes the item look lighter. A table made of glass is also more ideal than metal or a wooden table as the former is transparent which means that you could see through it, thus making an illusion of a bigger area.
- Use small-scale home furniture – Small areas obviously require small items in it to fit. It is important that the furniture, decors or anything that you will bring inside a small living room are proportional to the size of the room. Otherwise, they may overpower the space and make it feel restricted. A bulky couch for a small living area is a big no. Get one with a slim design so as not to eat too much space in the room. Big throw pillows or too many of them on the couch are also not recommended as they will only occupy extra space. Not having a couch at all should be considered. Instead, get 2 to 3 single chairs preferably without an arm rest so they won’t fill too much space.
This is how you can use your small space too
The living room is an area that must be properly designed. Its layout should be carefully planned to make sure that it will be inviting and will be comfortable for the entire family and their guests. It is the room where a lot of home furniture and appliances are placed for comfort and entertainment such as television, comfortable couch, computer, and the likes. With all these items, it is important that they can all fit in the room without making the area look too crowded.
While there are various ways to renovate or design a living room, the methods all depend on the size and shape of the area. A homeowner needs to understand that what could work in one living area will not necessarily go well with another one. Below are some of the living room layout ideas for your reference.
- Traditional layout – This layout is called traditional as this is how most living rooms are designed in many houses. In this type of living room layout, you would normally see a set of sofas with 1 big sofa facing the fireplace and 2 smaller ones on both sides of the bigger sofa facing each other. There is also a coffee table in the middle, which completes the set up. This layout typically uses the entire space to achieve a comfortable and spacious atmosphere.
- Contemporary layout – This layout has almost the same setup as the traditional one, but the furniture and its position may vary. So instead of a big couch in front of the fireplace, a daybed can be used with 2 smaller sofas on the side so the ambiance is more relaxing and would look more spacious and inviting. This will also make the room look bigger.
- Sophisticated layout – With this layout, a house does not need to have a fireplace because a coffee table can be the focal point of the overall setup. Or if there is a fireplace, instead of arranging the furniture in front of it, put them on the side. Put the coffee table and put 4 small chairs around it to give family members a spot to have coffee while having a good conversation.
- Textured layout – This will work if you want a more exciting layout. To achieve this, you will need to work with various furniture pieces. So instead of using the usual sofa set, which is what’s used in the traditional setup, get several pieces of furniture with a different style or design and put them together. You may change the positions as well based on how the pieces will look good together.
Aside from the layout above based on the setup of the furniture, below are some living room layouts based on the shape or size of the room. Also presented below are challenges based on each layout and ways to address them.
- Long living space – A rectangular-shaped or a living room with 2 walls that are longer than the other 2 walls at the end could be more challenging to decorate or design because it gives a narrow or enclosed feeling. But with proper layout and design, this type of living room can be turned into a welcoming and friendly space. This can be done by installing built-in cabinets and bookcases and shelves that have the same color and style as your furniture so everything will fit well together. Plan the layout properly as well especially the location of the doors, electrical outlets, windows, and the likes. The area where the said elements will be installed or positioned will determine the placement of your furniture and appliances. Incorrect installation or positioning of those items could limit what you can do in your living room when it comes to decorating the area. This could be a major problem and may cause you to incur unnecessary costs should you decide to fix the issue in the long run. Avoid narrow home furniture as they will only highlight the rectangular shape of the room. In choosing a couch, choose one that has a tailor fit upholstery. Use smaller home decors and furniture pieces as they will make the space look bigger.
- Open living space – This type of living room is known for having an open area for a smoother foot traffic and better entertainment. This is defined as a living room that is connected to the dining area or the kitchen. This may not work for those who want to have those areas clearly separated. In this setup, make sure that the furniture, home decorations, and appliances are arranged in such a way that an open area is still maintained so your family members and guests can be in different areas, but can still feel being together. An open living space aims to allow its family members to do various activities freely so make sure the layout and design will allow them to watch TV, eat, play games, and socialize within the open area.
- Square living area – This type of living room can be challenging when it comes to creating an appealing or inviting ambiance. This is because of the layout that will make you push all the furniture, appliances, and décor against the walls. This will leave you with a seating arrangement that is not close enough with each other, thus making the atmosphere cold or impersonal. The room may also look crowded or uneasy if the things are placed in one area or corner. Make sure that the layout and design are carefully planned to prevent these issues.
Many homeowners spend too much time making sure that their living rooms will end up feeling comfortable and welcoming. It is also important that the layout, design, and setup of the area will be conducive for family members and guests to be together to bond, watch TV, play games, or just have a nice conversation during the day. All these need to be considered in designing a living room.
One of the items that need to be considered in designing a living room is choosing the right paint and contractor for this job. Below are some ideas to help homeowners in selecting the right paint color for their living room.
- Put an accent wall – If you have favorite color or if there is one color that you would like to be highlighted in your house, then having an accent wall is what you need to do. It is a great way to make use of that color to highlight an area in your living room. You can further highlight your accent wall by featuring or putting some great decorative pieces like architectural items, paintings, and the likes on it. These artworks will make your accent wall stand out more. Accent walls do not have a required pattern or shade. They can have any color or various patterns depending on what the homeowner wants.
- Create a contrast using the ceiling – Most homeowners do not really pay too much attention to the ceiling. Hence, in many houses, ceilings are painted white. But what homeowners need to know is that adding a different color above or the ceiling can give a remarkable contrast with the walls and flooring. This will make your living room look more dynamic and appealing. Note though that the color that you must choose should depend on how low or high your ceiling is and what ambiance you would like to create. Using bold colors for the ceiling can help brighten your living room that is painted white. To make your low ceiling appear higher or make the room look bigger, choose cool colors such as lilac or blue.
- Paint your floor – If ceilings can create a good contrast to make your living room look more dynamic, painting the flooring can also make a lot of aesthetic difference. This is especially applicable if you have a concrete floor. Like in the previous discussion, the color to use should depend on what you want to achieve. For a modern and simple look, bold or solid colors like bright white are recommended. A concrete floor can also be made extra lustrous by using a shiny coat. This type of flooring can reflect light, making the place look bright and welcoming. A concrete flooring can be stained as well to achieve a more natural appearance.
- Use textured paint – You can also make your living area more appealing by using textured paints that are out in the market. Using a textured paint treatment either on your ceilings or walls can give your living room extra character and uniqueness. There are various traditional methods used in this activity such as stippling, marbling, and rag rolling. Although this strategy may require hiring a professional contractor, many DIY tools are available out there such as customized rollers and brushes to allow homeowners to try to do it themselves. If you plan to do it DIY, make sure not to overuse it as it may make your living room look over accented.
- Use custom mural – Another great paint idea to make your living room extra interesting is to create a mural. This can be done on one small area of the wall or could be done on the entire wall. This can give you an accent wall that will make your room more exciting. Creating a mural on your wall can be done DIY if you have some skills or you can ask a friend who is into art or painting to do it for you. Either way, make sure to know what you want in terms of color, design, and subject. Ideally, it should reflect your personality or a subject that is important to you. If making mural on the wall is not allowed either because you do not own the place or if you are concerned that it may not sit well with the next owner, in case you are planning to sell the house in the future, then getting a really nice artwork and hanging it on the wall could be a great option as well.
If you would search the internet, you can find hundreds of ideas on how to decorate a living room. While they can be a good guide, the design and outcome will all depend on the homeowner in the end as they will be based on his or her personal preference or taste or what look the homeowner would want to achieve. The design will also depend on the size and shape of the living room.
The living room is what many homeowners would want to decorate more than the kitchen, bathroom, or any other parts of the house. It is because of the amount of time we spend in the said area. It is where we spend our weekend with the entire family or receive guests occasionally. It is also a place where we can eat, play games, work, take a nap, and many others. Indeed, the purpose of a living room in the house can be very diverse, which makes decorating it a bit challenging. All these need to be considered when decorating your living space.
Below are some of the living room decorating ideas for reference.
- Set the ambience using colors – One of the more obvious elements we use in decorating is color. Colors can set the tone or mood of your living room. They will define how you, your family members, and guests will feel if you or they are in the area. Colors can also express who you are. The shades of light blue and white for example creates a cool and calm ambience.
- Have the ceilings and walls treated or finished – In a house, the living room gets more attention when it comes to wall or ceiling treatment as it is more exposed and more people spend time in that area. Because of that, living rooms should have a wall treatment or covering that is more detailed or sophisticated.
- Give your flooring some style – Since your living room is supposed to be an area where you can relax, have fun, bond with your family or guests, and the likes, it is important to use a comfortable floor treatment such as a carpet. The color and design of the carpet can surely help define the appearance and ambience of the living room. It can also help highlight your furniture and other accessories in the room.
- Identify a focal point – A focal or a centerpiece is important in a living room as it can help attract a person into the area. A fireplace, for example, is a common focal point in some countries. But in most houses, the television or a complete entertainment setup serves as the room’s center point.
- Put a stunning architectural or artwork – Aside from having a focal point, displaying a nice artwork such as a painting or any architectural item can add some character to your living room. This, however, should depend on the theme of the room or the house. Be consistent to not cause any confusion and draw the eyes of a person to various items within the room.
- Arrange furniture and appliances accordingly – Keep in mind that a living room serves as an area where family members or their guests can bond, have a discussion, watch TV, read books, etc. Make sure that the items in the said area are arranged to allow these activities to happen. Seats should be facing each other to allow a good conversation. If the living room is big, then arrange it to have 2 sets of couches or seating pieces for a more intimate interaction.
- Have the right lightings across the room – Lighting can either make or break a room. Like colors, proper lighting is important as it can set the mood of a place. It can add warmth and can help highlight certain items in the room based on its position. A table lamp with a warm light can be very relaxing and promote a quiet and romantic conversation. Accent lights can highlight a good painting or any artwork that is displayed in the room.
- Choose a nice window treatment – While an extravagant window treatment is not anymore an option for most homeowners in this modern age, it can still be done if you want to and the living room is the best place to do it. It can also set the mood of the room especially when it comes to privacy or formality.
Modern living rooms have attracted many homeowners because of the design and the functions they can provide based on the lifestyle of the homeowner. Since it is modernized, the room is expected to meet the demands of the homeowner when it comes to appearance and functionality. But although it is modernized, this type of living room stays within its traditional purpose which is to provide a place for comfort to its owner. Below are some modern living room ideas based on various elements.
- Color – Like in the traditional living rooms, colors can set the mood in a room and convey the type of person the owner is. To give it a modern look, it is recommended to use bold and vibrant colors such as red, orange, and the likes. Their lively shade can add more life to your living room and can go well with other furniture or items you already have in the room that have neutral shades.
- Intricate layout – A traditional living room would normally have 1 set of couches that is arranged in a conventional manner. In a modern setup, an owner can decide to use sofas or chairs with different designs and still blend together. It is no longer required for things to have the same color for them to look good together. The variety in color and design is what will give the room its vibrancy and character.
- Use non-conventional furniture – Instead of using the conventional sofa set, you can have bean bags and other seating alternatives. This strategy will modernize your living room but will still give you the comfort that you need.
- Use various light fixtures – Using various light fixtures can instantly modernize a living room. Get the ones that have a sleek or innovative design to achieve the modern look that you want.
- Bold Accessories – Aside from using bold colors, use bold or extraordinary living room accessories as well to accentuate the place. You can add a huge rug in the area which can give an extra comfortable feel in the room.
- Wallpaper – Instead of the normal wall paint, using wallpaper with a striking design or pattern can be a good way to modernize a place. Just make sure that it will complement your existing furniture and living room decors.
The look of your living room depends on the furniture and decors that you will use. Choosing the right furniture could be challenging so below are some living room furniture ideas for reference.
- The sofa that you will use will play a very important role in the overall look of the living room. But more than the design, color, or shape, focus on its comfortability as it is the primary intent of why a sofa is needed in a living room.
- Having a side table on both sides of a sofa is not a required setup. If only one side has a side table, you can still achieve a visual balance by having a table lamp where the side table is and a floor lamp with the same design on the other side. This will ensure that there is equal amount of light on both ends of the room.
- Using the right furniture plays an important role in achieving the theme or look that you want to achieve. A set of brown couches, for example, is recommended to get a rustic atmosphere in the room.
- A set of sofas may not be enough especially in a big living room. Hence, you may add a few more comfortable furniture like more accent chairs to give your family extra seats to relax and bond.
- Make sure that furniture such as chairs or sofas are not too far from each other as the said setup will prevent people from having a good conversation.
- Make sure to carefully plan the furniture and decors that you will buy for your living room based on its size. This is important as you need to ensure that you can get them in and they will fit appropriately in the room.
Lighting is critical in any room as it can set its mood or ambiance. Proper lighting can either make the room lively or warm for additional relaxation depending on what the homeowners want to attain. It can also highlight some art pieces and wall treatment in the room. Below are some living room lighting ideas for reference.
- A living room has three kinds of lighting such as task, accent, and ambient. Task lighting refers to the ones that position the light to a specific work area. Accent lights, on the other hand, highlight art pieces or specific decors or objects in the room. Lastly, ambient lightning is what gives a living room its overall lighting.
- A mix of various kinds of lighting that are positioned in different areas in the living room can affect the overall look of the room. Although lighting may not be the first item to catch a person’s attention upon entering a room, it can set the mood and help enhance the centerpiece in a room.
- In terms of ambient lighting, using pot lights as the source of light of the room is a good option and then having a hanging light or a chandelier can provide lighting to a specific area such as the center of the space.
- A single hanging light fixture is not enough to provide proper lighting to the entire area if the room is big. This is where pot lights can help, but if you are not into recessed lights, then you may want to use several hanging light fixtures all throughout the room. The key here is to ensure proper spacing or positioning and make sure that they match and will complement each other in terms of the design and lights they provide.
- Interiors involve having the ceiling installed with some lights for a more appealing look. It improves the ambiance and makes the room look more sophisticated. It can also help accentuate some parts in the room especially the architectural features of the ceiling.
- If hanging light fixtures is not an option in your living room, a big floor lamp can be a good alternative. There is also an arc-shaped floor lamp that can provide the same purpose as a ceiling light. Just make sure that its height is high enough to prevent people from bumping their head into it. These types of lamps are also modern in style so they will work best with modern-type living spaces.
- Aside from the arc-shaped floor lamps, there are those that have a more unique and futuristic design. They normally have adjustable height or reach to fit the size of the living room that you have. This will also allow you to adjust the lamp where you want the light to focus.
- Built in shelves in a living room are good ways to make the room look more organized and sleek. Installing accent lights into the shelves can help enhance their look.
- Proper lighting does not mean your lighting fixtures have to match or be the same. You can have a good mix of different types of lamps, chandelier, etc. There is no standard rule here so just follow your preference and taste. Know what your options are and then mix and match to give your living room a totally unique look.
- A living room with a high ceiling can be challenging to decorate and to light. This is because of the need to match the high ceiling by getting a big light fixture. It has to hang from the ceiling down to the center of the living room so it can be felt as part of the room.
- For a small living room, maximizing the room area is important. If this is the case, using a ceiling fan with lights is a great option to take. Although it is not as popular anymore like it used to years ago, it may be a good option to try for those in the warmer parts of the world.
- Architectural details may be highlighted using recessed lights or accent lights.
- Overall, when we talk about installing light fixtures, your requirements and preference as a homeowner play a big role in the entire process. While there may be some guidelines to follow, following your instincts is what it takes to achieve what you want.
Wall decors also play an important role when it comes to room design. A room without anything on the wall may look boring or dull. Hence, part of house decoration involves the selection of nice paintings that can go well with the theme or size of the house. Below are some wall décor ideas that you may want to consider.
- Having a big wall is an opportunity to get a really huge painting that can serve as an accent piece in the room.
- Aside from having one big painting, a wall can also be used to feature various painting or art pieces. You can mix and match small and big paintings creating a gallery of artwork for you and your family members’ appreciation.
- Aside from paintings, mirrors with a unique frame can also be used as wall décor. They will not only make your wall look busier, but will also give you or your visitors an area to check yourself or themselves in the mirror when needed.
- Walls can also be left empty or without any décor by having it painted or covered with printed wallpaper.
- Wall decors do not necessarily have to be put on the wall. Mirrors or paintings can be put on the floor against the wall.
- Antique pieces can also be used as wall decors. Old plates with a classic design can be a good option to consider.
- To prevent your walls from looking empty, installing built-in shelves can be a good alternative as well. These shelves can house your book collection, vases, various art pieces, and the likes.
- Putting a floor lamp by the wall is also one of the ways to cover an empty wall.
- For artsy sake, sculptures can also be used as wall decorations.
- A piece of cloth with an amazing print or pattern can also be put on the wall as a décor.
- If you or any of your family members love drawing, you can have those framed and used as wall decors.
- Using textured plaster or wall treatment is also another way to make an empty wall look more vibrant.
- Framed photographs can be a good wall décor as well in a living room. It is a good place to showcase the owner’s photography skills or some of his or her great photos even those that were taken by another person or a professional photographer.
- Depending on the theme or design of your house, other items such as a bicycle or a ladder can be used as wall décor. They can either be put on the wall or just on the floor against it.
- If you have any collections, you can display them by putting them on some built-in shelves.
While some homeowners want their living room bright and displaying vibrant colors, there are those who are into darker shades and organic look that give an autumn feel. This look is referred to as rustic and many homeowners are drawn into it. Below are some rustic living room ideas and some other information that you need to know about it.
- Having a rustic theme is okay especially during the fall season as it will create a convenient and a more inviting atmosphere.
- A floor to ceiling glass window is a great setup to have especially if your house is overlooking a mountain view. A rustic design will go well with this house setup as well.
- A classic rustic look would normally use house furniture or decors that are made of stone, wood and iron.
- The use of grey stones and mahogany wood can help achieve the rustic look that you want for your living room.
- A wood ceiling with intricate detailing makes it look like that it is one with nature, thus giving a rustic appeal.
- When it comes to lighting, the use of warm accent lights can provide more warmth and appeal.
- In using wood, the lighter ones like walnut are recommended to give you a rustic look that is cozy and bright.
- Having a wooden floor and ceiling can also give that rustic look for your living room.
- A rustic-themed living room can also be given a touch of modern look by using furniture that has a bold pattern or design. This could apply to your couch or the accent chair in the room.
- A stone wall gives a room a natural and rustic ambiance as well.
- A fireplace can also help a lot in achieving a rustic look for a living room.
- For a mild rustic appeal, you can mix warm colored furniture with contemporary home décor and accessories.
- Using an old item or décor is going to give your living room a rustic appeal for sure. For example, an antique or old-looking carpet can be used to get a rustic atmosphere in your living room.
Most living rooms have windows that allow us to have a view of what is outside. For privacy and security reasons, they must have window treatments following the theme or look of the house. They are also recommended for aesthetic reasons as windows treatments can help give a room a certain ambiance based on what the owner wants to achieve. They can make a room extra warm and welcoming, modern, and the likes. There are various window treatments available out there and each one has a purpose to offer. Below are some living room curtain ideas for reference.
- If your house is beside a busy street or crowded area, it is important to use a window treatment or curtain that can prevent people outside from seeing the inside of your house.
- When it comes to the color of your window treatment, you can choose a color that matches the color of one of your furniture or decors. A tall drape in different colors can create the contrast and make the room look bigger.
- An elegant and detailed curtain can also be used to make the room look more vibrant.
- They say that too much of everything is bad. It could be true for some but for a homeowner who wants everything to match, using a curtain that also matches the print or color of the wall and the furniture can surely be done.
- Window treatments, especially curtains, can come in various designs or patterns. A circular print or motif can be a good one to have and this applies to your curtains as well.
- Aside from having the same color, using different colors that complement each other can also be a good strategy when deciding what shade to use for your window treatment. The color blue, for example, is a good shade to use to complement an all-white room.
- A window treatment can be further enhanced by putting a home décor beside it. This can be done by hanging a nice painting that complements the color of the curtain.
- Using wallpaper or having the walls painted to match or complement the color of the curtain or any window treatment can also be performed to further enhance the ambiance of a room.
- Windows can also have window casings that have a different color to contrast the shade of the window treatment or other home accessories. This contrast can add more life to the room.
- Different types of fabric can be used as curtain depending on the print or pattern or whichever will go well with the theme of the room.
- Silk curtains are also an option for some homeowners as they add glow or radiance to the room.
- Curtains are good window treatments as there are various stitching methods used in making them, thus giving each one a unique and creative look.
- Using a unique or nice tieback for your curtain is a good way to enhance its overall look.
- The rod that will be used for the window treatment can also play a vital role in enhancing the overall look of a curtain, roman shade, or blinds.
- Using floor to ceiling window treatment makes the room look higher or bigger.
- Curtains are also a good window treatment as they can be designed in many ways to suit the requirements of the homeowner.
- A roman shade is also a good alternative as it can come in various designs or patterns, which means that a homeowner would have a wider range of options to choose from.
Ideas on a Budget
Designing your living room does not have to be expensive. It needs to be practical especially nowadays that there are several options to choose from. There are definitely ideas on a budget that a homeowner can decide to implement. Below are some of them for reference.
- You do not have to spend too much to give your living room a different look. Start by assessing the existing setup including the decors and furniture that you have. See how you can move things around to get a different look without having to throw anything away and buy new ones.
- You also do not need to overhaul the entire living room if you want it to have a newer look. Start with the walls by having them painted. It is a more affordable option as paints are not very expensive. It can also give an immediate and visible change that can improve the look of your living room.
- If you need it decorated, consider using some of your personal items or things that are important to you. For example, displaying some of your photos and that of your family can be a good way to fill your living room with good memories. You can also display your collection of books if you have some.
- If you need to buy new things, assess which ones you need to replace when it comes to quality, usability, and affordability.
- Plan carefully so you know what items you need to buy for your living room. If you really want the room to display expensive items, then buy a few and mix them with less expensive home decors or accessories to satisfy your need to splurge.
- Learn how to recycle and restore some of your furniture or home décor so you do not have to spend on buying a new one. For example, a damaged dining table can either be repaired or be used to create a coffee table using its parts that are still in good condition.
- Remember to consider doing things DIY style. If you have some creative juices, then create your home décor using some materials that you can find around you. Or you can buy not so expensive materials in the market to create some wall décors or displays for your living room.
- For your rugs, you can find cheap ones in the market. They could be sold at a discounted price as well at the home stores nearest you.
Long Living Rooms
Decorating a living room requires a lot of attention and proper planning. It can come in various styles and the setup will depend on a theme that the homeowner wants to achieve. Designing a living room, and the difficulty of doing it, will also depend on the shape and size of the room. For example, a different approach would be needed to decorate or set up a long living room versus a square-shaped area. There are pointers to consider as doing it incorrectly may cause the ambience of the room to suffer. Long living rooms have a tendency to look like a tunnel if not property set up. Below are some ideas that you may want to consider if you have one.Decorating a living room requires a lot of attention and proper planning. Click To Tweet
- In a long narrow area, creating a sufficient section for people to walk is important. While it may sound easy to do, it can be challenging and tricky for a long and narrow room. Furniture and home decors need to be positioned properly to prevent people from tripping or causing any incident.
- Put living room furniture and home accessories on the side of the room so you have the other side as a walkway. This is better instead of having the pathway in the middle.
- While some homeowners tend to think that it is better to push furniture against the wall, it will be much cozier if they are pulled away from the wall at least for one side of the room. This is recommended as pushing all the furniture against the walls can make it look like a bowling lane which is not very pleasing.
- One of the ways to avoid that bowling alley look if you have a long and narrow living room is to use furniture with round edges and those made of soft materials. Circular furniture and home decors can counter the shape of the area. Round lighting fixtures can also provide the same effect.
- Break the long and narrow look of the room by using small furniture or decors. So instead of having a long couch against the wall, use 2 smaller chairs to break the long space.
- Dividing the room into different sections can also help break the long and narrow look, thus making the room look cozier and more welcoming. You can do this by having 2 smaller seating areas instead of having just one spot with a set of big and long couches.
- Use the space vertically to draw the attention of people upwards than the horizontal space. This can be done by displaying tall home décor or art pieces. Having high bookshelves can also help achieve this goal. If you need to post framed photos or small artworks on the wall, arrange them going upwards to the ceiling. Using wallpaper with stripes pattern can also help to draw the attention of your family and guests vertically.
- In any room, clutter is what we need to prevent to make the room orderly and appealing. This goal, however, is more critical to be observed if you have a narrow living room. Because of the narrow space, unnecessary objects in the room can make it look more crowded. Clutter also becomes a safety hazard especially if you have children in the house.
A living room is the part of the house where we expect to get some comfort and spend some quality time with our family. Because of this, it is important to make the area as comforting and welcoming as possible. Below are some cozy ideas for reference.
- Having a comfortable living room means having comfortable furniture. Use a big sofa set made of soft and comfortable material. This is the easiest way to make the area inviting and comfortable.
- A fireplace is the ultimate element that could give you a cozy space. It gives a romantic feel especially during the winter. If you do not have one that allows wood to be burned, then you can set up an electric fireplace if your space would permit it.
- A coffee table can also play a vital role in giving you a cozy room. Use it to display books, magazines, candles, and the likes.
- Have an ottoman or make sure that your coffee table is not too high to allow you to raise your feet while sitting and reading your books or drinking coffee.
- Rounded corners are more comfortable and welcoming than rough edges. Use this recommendation when buying your living room furniture.
- Make sure that pillows and blankets are available in case they are needed while you spend some time in your living room.
- To make your living room cozier, it is recommended to fill it with personal items so you will feel at home more. Display your family photos, favorite books, own paintings, and other personal collections that you may have.
- Lighting also plays an important role in setting the mood in a room. It can also be adjusted based on the time of the day or season of the year. Use warm or yellow lights for a more inviting and comfortable ambiance.
- Curtains can also make a living room more homey and welcoming. It is because of the additional privacy that curtains or other window treatments provide.
To give more life to it, displaying artwork pieces can be very helpful. Below are some artwork ideas that homeowners out there can explore.
- DIY artwork pieces will surely help you achieve a space that is close to your heart. It can help make the area more welcoming because of the personal touches your DIY art pieces will bring.
- A canvass paint made DIY style is also a work of art that you can display in your living room.
- If you are collecting any items, it is recommended to display them in an artistic manner to add character.
- Aside from using your personal art pieces, there are great and affordable artworks available in the market especially at home décor stores.
- In decorating your living room with artwork, make sure that the theme of the room is clear so you do not mix different types of home decors together. Doing it will cause the look of the room to be confusing.
- Paintings, fabric with nice pattern, and similar items are considered art pieces that can be used to decorate your living room.
Rugs are recommended as they can help make the room feel more welcoming and comfortable. Below are some ideas that you can try yourself.
- Make sure that the rug or your carpet is not too small as it will make the room look smaller. Its size should be based on the setup of your furniture. It should set borders and makes it easier to define the areas in the room. Furniture should also touch the ends of the rug to create a bigger look. This means that you should have a rug big enough to allow the bottom of your sofa set to rest on the rug.
- If the shape or size of your room would require multiple rugs, then do not hesitate to place two rugs beside each other. Connect the edges of those rugs using a high-quality carpet tape to prevent people from tripping.
- Aside from the recommendation above, layering can be done as well using a rug and a carpet. A smaller rug can be placed on top of a carpet.
- If your living room does not have any furniture or home décor yet, then make sure that a rug or carpet is one of the things that you buy first. That item will tie all the furniture and décor together so get it first so you can visualize how your furniture will look with the rug that you have.
- Depending on the theme of your room, do not be afraid to choose colorful or printed rugs.
Large Living Rooms
If it is challenging to design a long and narrow living room, then the same thing goes for a large one. Below are some ideas to help you in decorating such room easily.
- If it is challenging to decorate a small space because you need to make sure that there is enough space for everything that you want to have there, the challenge with large rooms is to how to make sure that the space is maximized and you do not leave anything empty. In a large living room, creating several functional sections is recommended. So, aside from having the traditional set of couches and a center table, you can probably have a coffee spot where you have another small table and a few chairs. Having an entertainment area or a workspace can also be done in a large living space.
- In relation to the item above, the division of the room can be done visually by using various home decors or accessories. For example, you can use a rug or a carpet to create boundaries and multiple sections in the room. Having a certain paint color on one side of the wall and having a different color on the other side is also a good way to set boundaries. Aside from paint, the use of wallpaper can also help set boundaries in a large space.
- Having different types of chairs for each spot is also a good way to divide the room visually.
- Having small pieces of furniture and home décor in a large room will not work as it will make the room look cluttered or disorganized. This can be addressed by ensuring that small items are linked together using a larger piece of furniture. For example, a large couch can link the smaller items around it. The same effect will be provided by a huge coffee table in a large room.
- If you have a high ceiling, then display tall furniture. Otherwise, your ceiling will appear too high and it will make your furniture and home decors look too small. Connect the flooring going up the ceiling by having a tall bookshelf if possible.
- Lighting is important in a room regardless of its shape and size. It will make a lot of difference in setting the right mood depending on the theme of the house. More lights would be needed in a large living room to ensure that the entire area is properly lit. It may not look good, however, to have too many floor lamps for example. Hence, make sure to have a good mix of the various types of light sources such as recessed lights, accent lights, floor and table lamps, and many others.
- The use of colors and patterns can help make sections in a large living room. For a high ceiling, painting it darker than the wall will not make it look as high as it is. This will also make your room look cozier and warmer. You can also paint the wall using 2 different colors to divide the wall if you wish to.
- Use two or more pieces of a certain home furniture or accessory instead of having just one big version of it. For example, use two ottoman chairs instead of having a huge one to break the space. The same thing is true for rugs. You can use two or more rugs in one area to set boundaries than having just one big rug. You can do the same for your lamps or with any items in the living room. You can use this method every chance you get. Just make sure that you do not overcrowd the area.
- This has been discussed in the other sections, but making sure that home furniture and other items are not pushed against the walls also applies in decorating a large space. This is recommended because pushing furniture against the wall will leave a lot of space in the middle, which is not very appealing.
In today’s modern age, many people are still fond of decorating or using vintage items especially when it comes to decorating their house or any part of it such as the living room. The items do not necessarily have to be old, but look old based on design, finish, or material used. Below are some vintage ideas.
- One way to use vintage items is to have an old item renewed to make it usable again while trying to keep its old look. Items like an old typewriter or an old model of camera can be used as home decors to achieve a vintage look.
- A vintage look does not have to look creepy. You can use old or old-looking items and still make the room look welcoming by using proper lighting.
- The types of chairs or sofas that you use for your living room can define the theme that you want to achieve.
- A vintage look goes well with a classic design. This can be achieved by using home furniture and decors that are both classic and vintage.
- Lamps and light fixtures that you will use can help you get a vintage look for your living room. There are ancient lamps out there that can surely give your room a vintage ambience.
- A vintage living room does not have to look bare or boring. Colorful décors and other home accessories can be used to add more life and character to the room.
- Paintings are also used to get a vintage appearance for a room. The subject and frame normally define the vintage look of a painting.
A nice set of sofas can bring a lot of difference when it comes to the look of this space. It is every living room’s primary furniture, thus it must be carefully selected depending on the look that a homeowner wants to have. Below are some ideas for reference.
- To achieve coziness, choose a set of sofas made of comfortable material. Round edges are also recommended as they are more inviting than pointed corners.
- Depending on the size and shape of the space, choose a sofa that will sufficiently fill up the space in the room. Make sure that it is not too big or too small as either of them will cause you a problem for sure.
- Make sure that the couch that you will choose will promote conversations, which is what it is intended for. If they are too far apart from each other, then it will divide the area and will not initiate discussions.
- It is also important that the sofa is relaxing as it is what you want to get when you spend some time in the living room. It is a place where you want to watch TV, spend some quality time with the family, rest while reading a book, and the likes. All the said activities require that you have a comfortable set of sofas.
- Do not be afraid to play with colors when it comes to your sofas. But just like the size, it is important to assess what will go well based on the theme of the house. Keep in mind that the color of your sofa can affect the overall ambience of the room.
- The materials the sofas are made of can also dictate the atmosphere or theme of the room. Metal, for example, will give you a modern look while wood gives a rustic and classic ambience.
An environment friendly space is one of the themes a homeowner may want to achieve for his or her living room. This can be done in almost all parts of the room such as the wall, flooring, ceiling, etc. by using furniture, decors and accessories that are safe for the environment. Read this article on going green too.
- If you need your living area renovated, assess what materials can still be used and be donated to organizations that build houses for charity. This is a recommended option instead of throwing them to a dumpsite. For example, old cabinets that are still in good shape can be donated so it can be used by a less fortunate family instead of destroying it.
- Also, in relation to the item above, do not just throw furniture or any decors away. See what you can still use. If items are damaged, consider having them repaired or refurbished to give them a new look.
- When buying items, know what materials they are made of and how they were manufactured. Go for those that use eco-friendly or recyclable materials.
- In painting your living room, be aware of those that can bring harm to the environment because of their chemical components. Do not patronize them and buy environmental friendly paints.
- In connection with the earlier item, instead of painting your living room walls, a plaster made of clay or other natural supplies can be used as an alternative. Although wallpaper and plaster cost the same, a plaster is eco-friendlier as it has the ability to repel dusts for a better air quality.
- Repair old wood items in your living room and let it show its natural look for an environmental ambience. Repairing a furniture or décor does not only cost less, but it also prevents wastes.
- If you need to choose a window treatment, choose one that will allow you to tie or open it to let natural light to come in.
- In choosing a carpet, be interested to find out what it is made of. There are carpets in the market that are made of renewable materials unlike the ones manufactured many years ago.
- Buy locally so you can save on gas or transportation cost.
As you can see, there are a lot of ideas that you can implement. Simply refer to the specific section of this article that applies to you, and you should have a living room that’s beautiful, effective and efficient. Make sure that you get to maximize this space, and following the tips listed above can surely help!