More carpentry articles
Installed right by a competent, local wrought iron railing contractors near you, it is a good addition to a home. It provides safety with its main purpose of providing a place where you can hold on when going up stairs. It can also serve as a barrier which makes it a popular choice to secure an upper level of your home, a deck or a porch. It also serves an aesthetic purpose. There are different materials that you can choose from but wrought iron railing is highly-recommended by a lot of homeowners and contractors. This article will tell you everything you need to know about it. You will know exactly what it is and reading on will help you decide if it’s the right type of railing for you. You will find out about its advantages and disadvantages and you’ll get to compare it with other materials. You will also know how to install, repair and paint it which will help you understand the importance of hiring a competent company, and if your state requires a license, a licensed contractor. When you are ready to move forward with a pro, simply take the time to fill out the form at the top of this page and we'll match you with the most relevant contractors in your area - free of charge!
What is Wrought Iron?It’s an iron alloy that can contain up to 99% iron. Its main difference with cast iron is it only has a .08% carbon content as compared to up to 4% for cast iron. It’s also blended with fibrous slag or the by-product after the separation of the wanted metal. The slag is like glass which gives wrought iron a grain similar to wood when you etch or bend it to its almost breaking point. Another difference between the two lies in the name of wrought iron. Wrought is a past participle of the word work. This means that it can also be referred to as worked iron. This is accurate with how it’s heated before being worked on using different tools.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Wrought IronHere are the advantages that make it a popular choice:
- It’s durable.
- It’s malleable.
- It can last a long time.
- It provides strength and security.
- It has a timeless appearance.
- It has an open design.
- It can complement your landscape.
The Importance of Stair, Deck and Porch Railings Inside and OutsideUnderstandably so, a lot of homeowners have railings installed to improve the appearance of their stairs, deck and porch. This is why they choose wrought iron railing because it can be made beautiful with the hands of a competent and creative wrought iron railing installer. However, let’s not forget the main reason why it’s installed – safety. Here are the reasons that highlight the importance of stair, deck and porch railings inside and outside:
- It helps people maintain balance.
- It helps prevent painful and potentially fatal falls.
- It helps improve safety when there’s rain, snow and the likes.
- It provides leverage if you’re carrying something heavy.
- It provides a barrier for your items.
- It gives you comfort.
- It gives peace of mind.
- Know and abide by the building codes.
- Do not DIY the railing.
- Ensure proper installation.
Wrought Iron Railing InstallationIf you consider yourself an experienced DIYer and you have purchased wrought iron railing from a reputable company, you might be able to do it yourself, although we do not recommend it. Again, there are risks involved in doing so mainly because you don’t do this for a living and there’s a good chance that you can’t do it as good and as safe as a professional installer. Just in case you want to try it, or for you to have a better understanding on how it’s installed, here are the steps in wrought iron railing installation: Gather the needed materials and tools:
- Wrought iron railing purchased from a reputable company
- Masonry drill bit
- Caulking gun
- Level and tape measure
- Wet and dry vacuum cleaner
- Safety goggles
- Vacuum the debris out of the holes.
- Dry fit the railing.
- Fill the holes with epoxy.
Wrought Iron Railing RepairCorrosion can be a major issue especially for outdoor railings. While a little rust won’t affect the integrity and can even add an appealing patina, more serious corrosion can affect its integrity and make it unsafe. The best way to go about this is to contact a professional. This is the process a pro will usually make use of.
- Gather the tools and materials needed:
- Leg extensions to replace the part that you’ll cut
- Reciprocating saw
- Hammer drill
- Masonry drill bit (3/8 inch in diameter)
- Spray primer
- Bonding adhesive
- Pop rivet
- Rivet gun
- Wet and dry vacuum
- Hydraulic cement
- Pointed trowel
- Remove the rusted railings.
- Cut the corroded leg.
- Prime the part where you cut the leg.
- Insert the leg extension.
- Clear the holes of debris.
- Dry fit the railing.
- Apply the cement into the hole using the trowel.
- Leave it to dry and cure.
How to Paint Wrought Iron RailingPaint is very important and can easily be done by a professional painter. It can help prevent corrosion because it serves as a protective barrier against air and water. This is why if you’re noticing paint chipping in your wrought iron railing, you have to repaint it. Here’s what a pro will do.
- Gather the materials needed:
- Abrasive paper
- Steel brush
- Sugar soap
- Clean cloth
- Pruning shears
- Old newspaper
- Masking tape
- Metal paint
- Safety gear (gloves, dust mask and goggles)
- Wear the safety gear.
- Remove the old paint.
- Remove moss, algae and weeds.
- Prep the metal for painting.
- Clean the railings.
- Prune the plants and cut down overhanging trees.
- Test the paint on a small inconspicuous area.
- Do the necessary preparations.
- Paint the railings.
Steel as an AlternativeWhile wrought iron presents a lot of benefits as a railing material, it’s not for everyone. It does have its disadvantages like rust and maintenance. This is why a lot of people are looking at steel as an alternative. Here are the reasons why it’s a good alternative:
- It packs on more strength and durability.
- You don’t have to worry about corrosion.
- It can look as good as wrought iron.
Other Railing MaterialsHere are the other railing materials that you can choose from: