How to add value to your home? That’s a question we’re often asked. What are good remodeling and home improvement ideas and which should you avoid when you want to increase the resale value of your house? As many people aren’t realtors or experts themselves, finding out what is good and what is bad may not be very easy.
In this article we will take a look at the different kind of home improvement projects you might be considering and we’ll separate the good from the bad. Stick around if you’re interested in getting ideas for your next home improvement or remodel project, or you might be kicking yourself later on when your home’s value did not go up like you thought it would. We will focus on finding the best projects you can undertake here as well as provide you with the best tips for each kind of remodel. Just keep reading, and you’ll soon learn how to remodel while still increasing your home’s value, while still getting the house that you want. You can read the full article under the infographic.
(Want to use this infographic in a blog post on your site? You may be eligible to receive a 500 word article to post along with it. Contact us.)
This infographic can be reposted or used free of charge as long as you include an active link back to this page.
Creating an Attic Bedroom
- On average, creating an attic bedroom will increase your home value by $39,908, while it costs $51,696 meaning you will end up recouping 77.2% of the invested amount.
Attic Bedroom Ideas
Here’s a quick list of attic bedroom ideas you may want to consider if you’re thinking about making better use of your attic:
- Get the required permissions before starting.
Firstly, it’s always a good idea to make sure you have the required permissions before you even begin planning a remodel project. Some areas have stricter permission requirements than others, and some of them may consider a conversion of an attic into a bedroom, a structural change to the home.
- Install a lot of windows in the attic.
When you install windows in the attic, you will make it seem more welcoming and this way you make sure it does in fact end up as the warm place you intended when you started planning the remodeling project.
- Make sure you know what you want to use the attic for.
Before you start buying materials, it is good to know exactly what function the soon-to-be converted attic will have. If you’re planning on using it all the time, you will probably want to be more thorough in your selection of materials.
Like this list of the best remodeling ideas? We’d appreciate it if you shared it on social media.
Backup Power Generator
- On average, installing a backup power generator will increase your home value by $7,263, while it costs $12,135 meaning you will end up recouping 59.9% of the invested amount.
What You Need to Know About Installing a Backup Power Generator
A backup power generator will often be quite noisy and you will therefore need to know if that is something you are willing to live with. At the same time, you have to make sure you’re allowed to install one. There will often be building codes prohibiting you from installing it just where you like. Installing a backup power generator is by no means a DIY project. Installing it will require advanced electrical and plumbing skills, and as mentioned, knowledge of the local building codes.
- On average, a basement remodel will increase your home value by $47,637, while it costs $65,442 meaning you will end up recouping 72.8% of the invested amount.
Basement Remodel Ideas
Read here if you need a couple of quick ideas for your basement remodel. They may come in handy when you do start planning.
- Install a lot of light in the basement.
Getting natural light into the basement can be difficult because of, well, it’s natural location. However, do spend time figuring out how to compensate for this by installing artificial lighting. Without enough light, the basement might seem very unwelcoming and perhaps even uncomfortable to be in. If this is the case, you most likely won’t end up using it for its intended purpose.
- Check the height of the ceiling.
You obviously have a purpose in mind for the remodeled basement, however, if the ceiling is very low, it might limit the possibilities of the basement, and raising the ceiling in the basement can end up being very costly.
- What materials are you using for the basement remodel?
It’s wise to consider the materials you’re planning on using for the basement remodel. Basements are more prone to water damage, and it’s a good idea to choose materials that will better be able to deal with excess amounts of water. Consider getting a contractor to further waterproof the basement; it might very well turn out to be worth the cost. Because of the risk of a flood in the basement, it’s wise to avoid hardwood or laminate flooring.
- Think about noise.
Basement will often contain the home’s mechanical systems that tend to be noisy. By choosing sound-absorbing materials, you will make the new basement a nicer place to be as you won’t be as bothered by the necessary presence of the different machines.
- Remodel the stairs leading down to the basement
Stairs that lead down to the basement are traditionally not very nice-looking as the basement may not play a significant role in a lot of houses. By remodeling or rethinking the way you enter the basement, you may also end up with a much nicer feel to the space.
- Are you planning on renting out the basement?
Well if so, you will need to make sure you’re actually allowed to do so. Some municipalities allow it, others don’t. Just check your municipality before investing heavily to avoid nasty surprises down the road.
- Drainage is important.
Should the basement flood, you’ll need proper drainage to take care of the problem.
I hope these basement remodel ideas gave you an idea of the things you need to keep in mind so your home improvement project will be a success.
- On average, a bathroom remodel will increase your home value by $11,707, while it costs $16,724 meaning you will end up recouping 70.0% of the invested amount.
Bathroom remodel ideas
Here are some great bathroom remodel ideas that will help make sure you add as much value when remodeling, as possible while still getting the bathroom you’ve always wanted.
- Use a licensed plumber when remodeling the bathroom.
It might seem counter intuitive that you need to use a licensed plumber when remodeling in order to increase the value of your home, but ask yourself the following. What happens if you try to do the plumbing yourself and you mess it up? It’s not unlikely it’ll result in water damage which will be very expensive to fix.
- Use the right materials.
Bathroom will get very humid and the materials you use must tolerate moisture. This means you need to find proper materials when it comes to flooring and paint.
- Make a thorough budget when remodeling the bathroom.
The bathroom may not be the rooms in the house that take up the largest amount of space, but you’ll probably end up spending a pretty penny as there are a lot of fixtures, as well as many trades involved in the remodeling process (think plumbing, electrical work, tile setting etc.)
- Install a good fan and clean the one you have.
It is vital that you make sure you can get the humidity out of the bathroom or you will see how it affects paint and grout and cause it to deteriorate a lot faster. A nasty consequence of improper ventilation is also the buildup of mildew. You also need to clean the fan by vacuuming it. How do you know if it needs to be cleaned? Simple – hold up a piece of toilet paper next to it. Does it stay up or does it fall down? If it falls down, the fan needs cleaning.
- Fix small mistakes during the bathroom remodel.
If you notice a mistake, it’s better to get it fixed ASAP. Chances are, if you don’t, it will keep annoying you until you get it fixed, and it’ll be easier to fix when you’re still in the process of remodeling.
- Hide the toilet.
You might want to consider shielding off the toilet so it’s not the first thing you see as you enter the bathroom. It’s really a matter of taste, but it’s something you might not think about if you haven’t remodeled a bathroom before.
- Remember to install proper storage in the bathroom.
You will need storage in the bathroom. Take a moment to consider your needs and then integrate this into the plan for the bathroom.
- Remember to think about lights in the bathroom.
Like with other rooms, you will want the bathroom to be well-lit so you can see what you’re doing in there. If you can’t achieve this with windows, find appropriate artificial light to have installed.
Have these bathroom remodeling ideas in mind and you’ll be sure to add as much home value as possible!
- On average, a bathroom addition will increase your home value by $22,875, while it costs $39,578 meaning you will end up recouping 57.8% of the invested amount.
- On average, a composite deck addition will increase your home value by $10,816, while it costs $15,912 meaning you will end up recouping 68.0% of the invested amount.
- On average, a wooden deck addition will increase your home value by $8,085, while it costs $10,048 meaning you will end up recouping 80.5% of the invested amount.
- On average, a family room addition will increase your home value by $53,955, while it costs $84,201 meaning you will end up recouping 64.1% of the invested amount.
- On average, a garage addition will increase your home value by $33,938, while it costs $52,382 meaning you will end up recouping 64.8% of the invested amount.
- On average, a master suite addition will increase your home value by $68,596, while it costs $111,245 meaning you will end up recouping 61.7% of the invested amount.
- On average, a sunroom addition will increase your home value by $36,704, while it costs $75,726 meaning you will end up recouping 48.5% of the invested amount
- On average, a two-story addition will increase your home value by $103,848, while it costs $161,925 meaning you will end up recouping 64.1% of the invested amount.
House Addition Ideas
Interested in adding an addition to your home? These home addition ideas will make the project smooth and ensure the most value is added after your home improvement project.
- You will often need permits of some sort.
Make sure you have everything figured out in terms of permits before you start creating that beautiful home addition you’ve been wanting.
- Keep it the same style as your normal house.
You might think it’s time to do something funky with a new home addition, but at best you’ll like it. However, if you’re thinking you might want to sell the house down the line, the new home owner might not like the unique style as much as you do and you won’t get a nice return on your investment with your home addition.
- Comply with local regulations.
Alright, so you might’ve gotten the permits to make an addition, but now it’s time to make sure you comply with the regulations when it comes to things like ventilation.
- Sit down with an architect.
If you sit down with an architect, you’ll get a better understanding of what is possible and what’s not. We hope we’ve given you some ideas to your home improvement project and that you now know how to also increase the value of your home at the same time.
Entry Door Replacement
- On average, a fiberglass entry door replacement will increase your home value by $2,107, while it costs $2,926 meaning you will end up recouping 72.0% of the invested amount.
- On average, a steel entry door replacement will increase your home value by $1,252, while it costs $1,230 meaning you will end up recouping 101.8% of the invested amount.
Entry Door Ideas
If you’re about to replace your entry door, here are some ideas and tips to keep in mind to make the replacement a success.
- Don’t want to maintain?
If you don’t want an entry door that requires maintenance, that’s completely fair. However, some entry doors will require some kind of maintenance and it might be better to if this is the case before deciding which one to buy.
- Don’t be cheap.
An entry door is one of the first things people will see as they come near your home. It might be tempting to buy the cheap option, but just know you might not like it 6 months down the road.
- Choose the correct style.
When you are looking for a new entry door, it might be tempting to pick one you really like, but did you actually consider whether or not it’ll look nice with your home also? Choose an entry door that will complement the style of the rest of the house as this will also be the one that adds the most value to the home.
Garage Door Replacement
- On average, a garage door replacement will increase your home value by $1,410, while it costs $1,595 meaning you will end up recouping 88.4% of the invested amount.
Garage Door Ideas
There are some very common mistakes people do when selecting a garage door; here are some ideas to help you avoid the pitfalls.
- Find a design that fits your home.
Like with entry doors, a garage door is very visible to everyone, and you should find one that complements your house and its style.
- Buying an insulated garage door will help you become more energy efficient.
If your garage is attached to your home, it is a good idea to look into getting an insulated garage door. It will keep both cold and warm weather out meaning you will need to spend less on heating or cooling.
- What’s the weather like in the area you live in?
Do you get a lot of strong winds in your area? If so, make sure to get a garage door that is very solid and can withstand the force it is being exposed to. You don’t want a garage door that starts looking beat up as soon as the first storm hits.
- A pro can be a lot of help
It’s not that easy to install a garage door, so it can be a good idea to get the help of a professional who does this for a living. Dealing with the springs can be dangerous, but a pro will know how not to get hurt.
Home Office Remodel
- On average, a home office remodel will increase your home value by $14,155, while it costs $29,066 meaning you will end up recouping 48.7% of the invested amount.
Home Office Remodel Ideas
There are certain things to keep in mind when remodeling home offices, here are our ideas and take on the project.
- Don’t ignore walls and the floor.
If you are spending a lot of time in the home office, you’ll want to turn it into a nice place to be. You probably don’t want a cubicle but rather a welcoming office. The floor and walls will have a huge impact on the perception of your home office.
- Hide cables.
Cords should be hidden as much as possible. It’s a lot better to do it when you’re remodeling the home office anyway. If you don’t, you probably do it later either.
- The office chair
The office chair needs to be both comfortable and nice to look at. Sacrifice either of the two and you will either not like the aesthetics or you’ll be tempted to get no work done as you don’t enjoy sitting in the chair.
- Lighting is crucial.
In your home office, where you will be working, you need proper lighting or your eyes will get annoyed at the very least.
- Consider your storage needs in the home office.
How many things will you need to store in there your home office? Make an adequate amount of storage for your needs.
Remember to keep the above mentioned home office remodel ideas in the back of your head when remodeling as to increase the value of your house by as much as possible.
- On average, a minor kitchen remodel will increase your home value by $15,255, while it costs $19,226 meaning you will end up recouping 79.3% of the invested amount.
- On average, a major kitchen remodel will increase your home value by $38,485, while it costs $56,768 meaning you will end up recouping 67.8% of the invested amount.
Kitchen Remodel Ideas
Here are the most important kitchen remodel ideas to keep in mind.
- The amount of capacity you need.
How much food do you normally keep? Get a fridge that is sufficiently big so you won’t have to get annoyed by the fact that you’re short in fridge space. This also applies to other appliances.
- Make sure the walkways are sufficiently wide.
You don’t want to have a feeling that you’re stuck when you cook. A good rule of thumb is that walkways should be at least 42 inches wide for one cook or 48 inches for multiple cooks.
- Buying the same brand for different appliances.
You might like both a fridge and a dishwasher but if these are from different brands you might risk it not looking nice together.
- Have enough storage space.
How much storage space do you need? Well, it’s a good idea to figure this out before you start installing the kitchen.
- Invest in quality
If you get quality cabinets, they’ll also last longer and you won’t have to run out and get new cabinets next year. Also, it’ll look nicer.
- What tools are important to you?
If you are the type who uses the blender 24-7, you might want to arrange it in a way so it’s easily accessible. This could be any kind of tool for that matter, just think functionality.
- When buying appliances, check to make sure you can live with the amount of noise they make.
You don’t want to end up in a situation where you’ve installed a fridge, you turn it on and you notice it makes a lot of noise.
Alright, now go remodel the kitchen as per your wishes and see the value of your home increase as well as your appreciation for the space.
Siding Installation and Replacement
- On average, installing manufactured stone veneer siding will increase your home value by $6,594, while it costs $7,150 meaning you will end up recouping 92.2% of the invested amount.
- On average, vinyl siding replacement will increase your home value by $9,694, while it costs $12,013 meaning you will end up recouping 80.7% of the invested amount.
House Siding Ideas
Consider these things when you’re either installing or replacing siding.
- How much time are you ready to spend maintaining the siding on your home?
Some kinds of siding will require a lot of maintenance while others will require practically no maintenance. If you’re not ready to maintain it properly, you should consider installing a kind of siding that doesn’t require much maintenance.
- How long will the siding last?
Some siding options have a longer lifespan than other types. It’s a good thing to keep in mind.
- Cost per square foot per year.
When you’re comparing the cost of different siding options, it’s a good idea to also remember that you need to include the lifespan (as well as maintenance costs) when you try to compare the different options.
We also encourage you to read our article on house siding options.
- On average, a roofing replacement will increase your home value by $13,975, while it costs $19,528 meaning you will end up recouping 71.6% of the invested amount.
Roofing Replacement Ideas
Study these tips to avoid costly mistakes when replacing the roof on your home.
- Make sure the roof is properly vented.
A roof that isn’t properly vented it can lead to excess heat build-up and damaging moisture collection, which will you want to avoid!
- Consider the right material for your roof.
You need to match the slope of your roof with the right material. If you don’t, water might be able to penetrate the roof and cause water damage if left untreated.
- Build with the right amount of overhang.
You need the proper amount of overhang if you want to protect your roof against wind damage. Talk to the roofing contractor about this.
- Replace rather than cover if you’re repairing.
If there’s a need for the roof to be repaired, it’s a better idea to replace the damaged part. Simply installing on top of old roofing can create an area where moisture and dirt ends up which will cause the roof to deteriorate a lot faster.
Replacing the roof can be a really good idea when it comes to remodeling, but you can’t do just anything. Follow the tips above and make your roof replacement a success with a high return on your investment.
- On average, a vinyl window replacement will increase your home value by $8,163, while it costs $11,198 meaning you will end up recouping 72.9% of the invested amount.
- On average, a wood window replacement will increase your home value by $8,937, while it costs $11,341 meaning you will end up recouping 78.8% of the invested amount.
Window Replacement Ideas
Check out these window replacement ideas to increase the value of your home as much as possible.
- Consider life-cycle costs
One kind of window may seem cheap, but if you’ll need to constantly maintain them and they’ll have to be replaced within a couple of years, the actual cost of the windows may end up being higher than if you had simply installed better quality windows from the beginning.
- Hire a pro
Installing windows may sound easy, but if it’s not done right, it might affect the lifespan of the windows and you might not get the energy savings you were originally hoping for either.
- Buy branded windows
What happens if you’ll suddenly need to replace a window? Well, you’ll hope you can still get the same kind of window once again. However, if you get unbranded windows, chances are they won’t be selling that exact model anymore.
Now that you know the best ways to add value to your home with all these great remodeling ideas and get the highest return on investment with your remodeling project, the rest is up to you. If you want more ideas when it comes to remodeling, we suggest you take a look at our Remodel Guides page.
Remodeling costs and resale value: http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2015/